Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

single to dual exhaust conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:15 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: single to dual exhaust conversion

Soaring,
You got some serious corrosion.
JamesW,
I tried it your way; itdidn't work out just right. The brake line was touching the exhaust pipe. So instead of going to a muffler shop, I got out my wire welder and welded in the rear brake hose bracket that I made. I made a drawingof one I borrowed a long time ago, so it was easy to fabricate one.I already had the hose and brake line (they were going on my 65 GT) so the rest was simple. Muffler shops are - well, sort of expensive. I suppose that you can install the bracket with a couple of screws but the design made sense. Ford occasionally does something right.
Jim
Old 04-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Gingercar
1st Gear Member

Okay, I think I got one part of the mystery solved. After checking the picture of the new flex hose for the duals vs the flex hose for the singles for the millionth time, my light finally went on about something. I saw the extension bracket on the flex hose for the duals and I finally figured out that part attaches to the axle vent, not the intermediate line. Duh!! That is why new brake lines on the axle are necessary. That makes sense.

Now, about the bracket that holds the attachment point for the intermediate line and the flex hose, it does seem to me that needs to be moved . Iknow some of you are saying that a quality muffler bendercan bend around it, but everything I have read says to change theintermediate lines, flex hose and axle lines. Brakes seems to me one point where you want to have 100% confidence. Hence why I am getting so much info from you guys.

I could just get a newflex hose with the bracket, new rear axle lines, and then bend the intermediateline over to meet it. Or make an extension off the intermediate line, bend it to the left and weld on a new attaching bracket farther to the left. That would save me having to replace the intermediate line.

And in response to 66GTKFB, yes I would like those pictures posted if you have them.

By the way, I am having the exhaust custom bent by a local shop that does high quality work. No bolt on exhaust.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:56 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

I found my sketches and will try to scan them. I may have to do some 'line enhancement' as I did these sketches on the fly, and there are also some wine stains to contend with. It's part of living near wine country.
Jim
Old 04-21-2007, 07:58 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i got a couple of brand new flowmaster 40 delta series for sale if you need cans for half price
Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Gingercar
1st Gear Member

Thanks, but no thanks on the flowmasters. Driving a convertible I probably will go with magnaflows.

Soaring, what angle was that picture taken from. From the trunk side of the axle or the floorpan side? Do you seriously think, since I am having them custom bent, that they can just bend them out of the way? Remeber, I don't want to take any chances with brakes, but it would save time and $$$ that could go to something else on the car.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Gingercar
1st Gear Member

Soaring, what angle was that picture taken from? From the trunk side of the axle or the floorpan side? Do you seriously think, since I am having them custom bent, that they can just bend them out of the way? Remeber, I don't want to take any chances with brakes, but it would save time and $$$ that could go to something else on the car.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Gingercar

Soaring, what angle was that picture taken from? From the trunk side of the axle or the floorpan side? Do you seriously think, since I am having them custom bent, that they can just bend them out of the way? Remeber, I don't want to take any chances with brakes, but it would save time and $$$ that could go to something else on the car.
I just crawled under the car from the rear. The gas tank is right above my head. My pipes were custom made, so yeah they can avoid hitting anything.
>>>Soaring, You got some serious corrosion. <<<<<
Yeah, I see that. Looks like I have a project for tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Gingercar
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I will take it to the muffler shop Monday and have them take a look. If he shakes his head and says no, then I may be back for more advice on the conversion!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Gingercar

Thanks. I will take it to the muffler shop Monday and have them take a look. If he shakes his head and says no, then I may be back for more advice on the conversion!
If he shakes his head and says no, then thank him kindly and take your car to another muffler shop. I guarantee it can be done without a problem if the shop technician knows what he is doing.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Gingercar
1st Gear Member

Okay. I will take your word for it. Brakes are one thing where I feel kinda nervoustaking any shortcuts, but with the car on the lift, we will both look at it. The guy is pretty reputable, does street rods and older restorations. He had a 65 coupe on the lift when I got there, so he does mustangs. I trust him. Thanks.

This is a great website for things just like that.

Quick Reply: single to dual exhaust conversion