Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

single to dual exhaust conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Gingercar
1st Gear Member

Default single to dual exhaust conversion

Okay, I know this question has probably been asked quite a bit before, but here goes. I want to convert my factory single to a dual exhaust and I know I have to get a new front to rear brake line, flex hose and rear axle lines that are specific to a dual exhaust. The rear flex hose looks like it goes into a "block" on the rear axle that combines the rear axle vent hose with the rear lines. Does this conversion require you to change the location of that "block" as well as the lines. Also, the intermediate line joins the flex hose at a bracket that is welded onto the rear floorpan. Do I need to change the location of that bracket and re-weld it further to the left? Or are all these questions pointless and it is as simple as just bolting on new lines and flex hose?

Someone out there has done this already I know. Pictures would be nice. I've been to the KAR Mustang website but the pictures aren't very large and don't tell me whether I need to relocate the axle vent "block" or the flex hose bracke on the rear of the floorpan.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:49 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: single to dual exhaust conversion

What year?
Jim
Old 04-21-2007, 02:14 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

on my 65 the axle vent has been damaged by the dual exhaustand rubbish monroeshocks and a trunk full of tools, I dimpled the exhaust with a ball hammer and got better shocks
Old 04-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Gingercar
1st Gear Member

I have a '66 convertible with a C code 289. Bone stock
Old 04-21-2007, 02:39 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Ford put a special brake line bracket on the left underside for the forward end of the flex hose and a special distribution block that is offset forward, to give clearance for the dual exhaust pipe on the lest side. NPD has the bracket, 2A051-1A $6.50. It has to be welded on the car - after you remove the rear seat and insulation (fire is not nice). Somewhere in my vast collection of paper, I think I got some sketches on where to locate the bracket. Need more?
Jim
Old 04-21-2007, 03:51 PM
JamesW

....and I know I have to get a new front to rear brake line, flex hose and rear axle lines that are specific to a dual exhaust.
Once again, unless you're trying to maintain factory accuracy...don't get caught upinto thinking you have to buy the originalfactury duals brackets, fracets, and hoses. You already havethe basics... the distribution block/axle vent, and the brake hose that attaches to it.

All you have to do is form anextension hard line that picks up the end of your current brake line and reroutsto a location where therubber hose will be clear of all pipes, shocks, mufflers, etc. You may even have to fab up a bracket to secure the hard line to the floor or framerail area. Same deal for the axle vent tube. You may need to get a longer hose, and some zip ties or brackets to reroute it away from the exhaust.

You can do this brake line mod for $200 using the factory K code parts, or you can do it for $10 using your common sense.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:55 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

I guess the Ford factory bent the existing parts, did some creative hammeringand saved $180 when they installed dual exhausts on cars, both 'A' and 'K' codes. I've marveled at the creative nature of some that did the job on the garage floor with a hammer and a pair of vice grips. I know of several shops that make more then the $180 saved in correcting a major flaw like the garage floor installation. You got a choice, copy the factory installation or get out the hammer.
Jim
Old 04-21-2007, 06:12 PM
JamesW

Not at all... If you were using factory parts to do the dual exhaust in 1965...then it would cost about two dollars more in parts to do it the 'factory' way. However with today's insane prices for 40 year old OEM parts and theaftermarket gouging people who are mechanically challanged.... not everyone should immediately jump to the 'factory is the only/best way' conclusion.

Snap some photos of your hard line, brackets, vent tube and hose... and I bet I could makean equivelant install for much less.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You don't have to do anything with your brake lines. If you have the right pipes and hangers you will not come close to the vent tube and brake block. Here is a pic of mine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10034/DB4245DCA693461E9783E38BA1C2D7F0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 PM
JamesW

.... and if you're having the duals custom bent by a muffler shop, they can bend them to get them as far away as possible.

Quick Reply: single to dual exhaust conversion