Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suggestions on Making the 65 safe and COMFORTABLE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Jakaru
2nd Gear Member

Default Suggestions on Making the 65 safe and COMFORTABLE

Ok so my engine seems fine as well as my tranny so it runs. My brakes also seem to work even though they will stay drums for now. So it stops.

I havn't even touched the suspension yet or really anything under neath the car. So I was wondering if you lovely people out there have ideas or have done something to your cars that have made them more comfortable to drive. I'm thinking seats, shocks, bushings need replacing? Anything else? Links to producst would be great or an estimated cost. I will be going about 30 miles or more freeway one way everyday and was hoping to make this feel more like a modern car.

I don't really care about originality or keeping the car stock too much. The engine is allreay a 302 so oh well. But it does have to look decent though. So please post anything you got!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:29 AM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Suggestions on Making the 65 safe and COMFORTABLE

If you want comfort probably just go all stock replacement stuff because the uprgraded/perfromance suspension stuff is all based on stiffness.Unless you wanna spend the money for the variable rate springs,those are nice.And if you really want comfort id go with an aftermarket seat.I dont like them but you might.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:30 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

theres a long list you can do like power brakes front disc or all wheel disc power steering a/c if it dont have it
Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Stevetra
2nd Gear Member

Disk Brake Swap on the front.
MC bar
High Back seats, or headrests
3 point belts
Colapsable steering column
I find the more "Safe" things I add to the car, the more comforable it feels.
So far I am working on #1...broke...but very comforable
Old 04-26-2007, 09:25 AM
JamesW

Derek, check out my website below. There's several idea there on making these 1st generation cars safer and more comfortable...
Old 04-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Jakaru
2nd Gear Member

Nice site, I doubt I'll have the dough to actually do the engine swap no matter how nice it seems. But seats and others I'll be copying haha. I was wondering if anyone new a place that lists replaceable items for the suspension so I know what I need to get to redo it. I think once I get them I can figure out how to put them on but I just don't know what I need as far as bushing and ect.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Derek, you don't have do what James White did. His is a restomod, and not necessarily a comfortable and safe car. Just put your car back to stock new parts and drive it. These cars have been driven for 40 something years just as they came off the factory floor. Mine is mostly stock except for the cooling additions and I have never had a wreck in it. You need to constantly keep themmaintained and the interior upholstery and carpet needs to be changed every 20 years or so , but that is just good upkeep practices. You have a wonderful amount of parts places where you can purchase most anything you need to keep you running into the next millinium.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:25 AM
68SCode4speed
2nd Gear Member

Derek,

-Replace the front sway bar with a new 1" one (the links on my originalbarwere almost rusted through).
-New Shocks (will definately see a difference with these)
-Any bushings that you can easily get to and replace them is a good thing - it will firm up the way the car responds. Use the ones that don't squeak...
-Springs front and rear if you think you need them.
-Score some late model Mustang seats off Craigslist in your area and then just remove the underside metal carriage and swap onto the seat bottoms the rails off of your old/original seats. This will give you high back seats and comfort. (I scored a set of leather 2002 Mustang seats for $100 each on Craigslist)

You can find these parts at Mustang's Unlimited or Mustang's Plus - (Mustangs Plus stocks rear leaf springs that have the eye re-positioned so that you can lower your car in the process too.)

You'll want to go through the car and tug and test your ball joints and steering setup. Don't trust your life to old parts that can be hiding rust underneath/behind an old rubber bushing.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:55 AM
JamesW

I'm sorry..I thought the question was...what can I do to make this stock car more safe and comfortable.... I assumed that he was actually asking for recommendations on what to do to the car...not whether he should go the restomod route or not. By initially stating..."I don't really care about originality or keeping the car stock too much." I didn't realize recommending changes was out of the question.

As for the comment..."His is a restomod, and not necessarily a comfortable and safe car.".. I will guarantee you that updated steering, high back seats, shoulder harnesses, disc brakes, and brighter headlights do make for a more safe and comfortable car than the original Mustang. These were inherent weaknesses in the design of the time.

Once again.. if you're going to drive the car daily... don't put your life in hands of antique technology. Update where you can to make it safer.If you want to keep it an antique...then treat it like an antique and don't put your life at risk.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Jakaru
2nd Gear Member

lol restomod is fine with me while still keeping the over all feel of a classic look and style. I'm not going to show it or anything so if replacing stock parts is the best and if modding it slightly is better thats what I'll be doing. It all depends. I want it to be fun yet safe and comfortable. I'm happy to hear opinions and help from both sides of the field. lol.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on Making the 65 safe and COMFORTABLE