Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Going to pull the motor, probably need help..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:40 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default Going to pull the motor, probably need help..

I have decided to pull the motor,, If I were to change my rod and main bearings with the engine in the car, then I wouldnt get to clean up the engine compartment like I want to. And I think It will be easier to just pull the motor and do it, since Im a novice at engine building,, it will be a great learning experience, and with all you guys around, at the tap of a key I can get what info I need.. Now I just need to figure out where to start.. That, and how to explain to the wife that putting new stickers on the motor will come after I get the thing back to running correctly.. Whats with that woman? Anyway,, Ill pull it, fix it, paint it, and make her purr again.. How hard is it to change main seals after I have her out? And what type of engine paint would be best? I have already used the high temp stuff from Kragen on the water pump.. Is that rattle can type good enough for the block and heads? I appreciate all the help.. below is the original post:

Ok.. So when I first got my 69,, about 3 months ago,, I noticed that the oil pressure dial would not come up past the lower line on the factory guage.. So, I put in a mechanical guage for only about an hour and decided that I didnt want to mount it in the car because it was reading 50psi at Idle cold,, but after having the car put back together and running it about twice a week I decided to grab a few coronas and put the mechanical guage back in 2 nights ago... Again, I started it up and had 50 with a cold motor.. ran it for a few minutes and it stayed there..

So this morning I drive the car to work so i can take it to the hobby shop on my base to grind some rust out of the interior, and when I started it, I had 50psi,, after about 15 minutes it went down to 40,,, and then I jumped on the freeway for about 5 miles and it started dropping,, and stayed at about 30-35, doing 65-70mph.. But when I got off of the interstate it dropped down to 10 and didnt climb back up at idle.. It would climb when I revved the motor but with no reving it would stay at 10-15... SCARRY!!! So I dont know what I want to do.. Im thinking about just pulling the motor and replacing the pump along with head gaskets, and pan seal, and anything else I feel like replacing.. Maybe a cam.. But I dont know if it will be just the pump thats the problem..

Any suggestions??

Im running 10w-40 So that pressure should have been up a bit just because of the weight right?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:50 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Yayy!! Oil pressure Problems.....

Should I pull the mechanical guage off of the line, then start the motor and plug it back it,, Do you think that Air being in the line could cause a different reading? Probably not.. but I have to think of everything..
Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

Can't really help you (sorry) but if you do buy a new oil pump get a new oil pump shaft too. (cheap and a smart investment)
Old 04-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

and get a perf oil pump drive shaft
Old 04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Perf ??

So does everyone concur that the oil pump sounds bad? The thing shoulnd't be doing this..
Old 04-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

perf=performance
Old 04-27-2007, 04:13 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you have 15lbs at an idle and it does climb back up then I think you have a non-issue.

Your dropping pressure at cruising speed may be attributed to the warming/thinning of the oil.

Your pump may be getting a bit tired but as long as you have approximately 10lbs per 1000rpms I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
DonA

Step 1 --- Know the specification---Per the Ford Specification Book the oil pressure should be between 35 and 60 PSI @ 2,000 RPM - Hot

Step 2 --- Test

Step 3 --- If it's broke then fix it --If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If it is low I doubt very much if a new pump will help. These pumps are very good and will pump plenty of oil even when worn. Check the screen though they are not the best.

Mostoil pressure is lost past either past the cam or the main bearings so if low you need to consider them as the source.

However if there is no knock I really wouldn't get too upset about the gauge readings.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:36 PM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

From what I understand, as long as you have some oil pressure, you should not sweat it.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:58 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys.. at least i feel better about driving it back home... lol

Quick Reply: Going to pull the motor, probably need help..