Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Always Check your lug nuts after break work(a lesson hard learned)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Timetravelinn
1st Gear Member

Default Always Check your lug nuts after break work(a lesson hard learned)

I spent a good part of yesterday finishing up replacing the drums on the front of my car a nd putting on a dual mc. Today I just wanted to take her for a quick lap around the block, and when turning a corner I heard a big thud, slowed down to listen for it to determine what is was. Car drops i see my tire running in front of me, @#$#, found the problem.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:07 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Always Check your lug nuts after break work(a lesson hard learned)

You just got experience. It's a commodity that cannot be measured except by repeats and that's called negative experience. As a result, I learned to carry a set of stock lug nuts just in case. Oh, torque lugs to 85 foot-pounds.
Jim
Old 05-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

It is surprising how tight 85 lbs. is. I have to really pull on my torque wrench to reach 85.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

I'm in the linebacker weight catagory. On my VW's, I torque the nuts on the rear axle to 500 foot pounds and the oversize flywheel bolts to the same. I use a 6 foot steel pipe on a 3/4 inch drive slider bar. Yes, the end is bent.
Jim
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Dayum Jim. How much weight can you press? I wouldn't want you to get mad at me.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:29 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

I'm in the linebacker weight catagory. On my VW's, I torque the nuts on the rear axle to 500 foot pounds and the oversize flywheel bolts to the same. I use a 6 foot steel pipe on a 3/4 inch drive slider bar. Yes, the end is bent.
Jim
Wow... That's what I do for lugnuts and flexplates just to get 'em to 85! 'Course, I'm a tiny little girl...

And Timetravelinn... Yeah, you just got a healthy dose of 'experience' and I'm glad you shared it here so that we can all learn from it! Thank goodness it didn't shred the car beyond repair or cause a wreck. A few months ago, I watched helplessly as a wheel and tire came off a Mazda and bounced onto the other side of the freeway.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Hey Rina,
You don't have a gallery so we can't see your corvettes. Would you post pics of them here? I sure would like to see a cherry 66 427 Vette.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Timetravelinn
1st Gear Member

yeah I'm just glad it happened when there wasnt anybody around and I was driving slow. I dont think I even torqued the nuts down just hand tight to come back when the car was lowered to torque them all the way down. Needless to say I didn't make it back around to torque them down. Another case of doing to many things at once. Wonder how much this is gonna break my bank account.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

You don't lift, you push down using a bathroom scale subtracting 80 to 100 pounds per foot length on the pipe to get to where you need to be, 500 foot-pounds. And I use a good old Texas Ranger tool, S & _, to keep away the mad. I got a shattered right knee and a broken back that keeps me company (Off-road toys are nasty). I still put on five to eight miles a day on my 21 speed bike, too much 'heft' left.
Jim
Old 05-04-2007, 08:17 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Hey Rina,
You don't have a gallery so we can't see your corvettes. Would you post pics of them here? I sure would like to see a cherry 66 427 Vette.
I just threw together a gallery. I still haven't taken pics of my '06 vert, but I put up at least one of each of my machines.

Quick Reply: Always Check your lug nuts after break work(a lesson hard learned)