Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Air bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 02:32 AM
royal68
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Air bags

no way a classic will be as safe as a moderncar - advances in design / materials / technology make it impossible. Airbags are designed to work in the specific car they are installed in - they actuallytake into account thestructure around them to work correctly (ie: windshield, roof, etc). They've also gotten more advancedsince first installed a few decades ago-you are starting to see cars that sense if someone is even sitting in the seat before deploying (or not) and how close/far they are from the airbag to adjust inflation rate etc.

The "stuff" that "burns" you is called A. friction (from the bag rubbing your skin) and B. cornstarch (or similar inert). You may see a small amount of smoke immediately after they deploy, nothing to worry about.

If you really think that airbags kill more than they save... well, why sugar coat it -you're an idiot. I'm sure you are one of the ones that 'has a friend who knows a guy who used to date a girl that had a brother who got thrown clear of a wreck because he didn't wear his seatbelt and the car blew up on impact and he'd have been killed if he'd had it on but since he was thrown clear......................"

Yeah right.... my years on a heavy rescue truck taught me what properly used safety restraints can do and how good they really are. I've also been hit by an airbag in a major collision that totalled both cars - a few scrapes on my forearms and slight disorientation for less than a minute - but stillbetter than eating the steering wheel w/ my face.

That said, classic cars, like motorcycles, are fun
Old 05-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Celtic37
3rd Gear Member

Exactly, he knows what my dad feels.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:13 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothand

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

<snip>airbags cost more lives then they save <snip>
Aside from anecdotal evidence, do you have any numbers from a credible source such as the NHTSA or the like? Aside from incorrectly placing small children in the front seat, everything I've seen points to the opposite.
no

Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

royal68 your right the reason i dont like airbags was that one broke 6 of my ribs i learned that fords early airbag systems are good at opening late but the 2gen systems work better and can delay it or open slower depending on the force of the impact. i will say this my older brother fliped his car 5 times if he was wearing his seat belt he been dead the roof came down so far it broke the front seats
Old 05-28-2007, 09:49 AM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

airbags can kill too i had one in a 96 ford probe opened late broke 6 of my ribs every car i own since then if it had a airbag i unhooked it. yes when the airbag goes off it burns you i had burns on my arms and face my ears rang for a week. to be honest i feel safer in my 68 mustang over alot of cars i owned
+1 on that. had a friend in 7th grade whos mother wrecked and the airbag came out. ended up breaking his arm, nose along with others. and he had a huge bruise covering his face forever after that too. bad times....
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Celtic37
3rd Gear Member

Was it because his hands were on the dashboard? I bet they were close. But think, airbags really are a lifesaver for many people. Sure they may also hurt you at times, but for every time it hurts you im sure theres like 10 times it saved you.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 PM
royal68
2nd Gear Member

also look at the stats - something like 3.3 million went off from 1990-2001, over 6500 saves (not including injuries avoided) and only around 175 deaths associated w/ the airbag during that time period. Of those deaths, around 85-90 % were attributable to: kids in the front seat (many not restrained and one infant was standing on the drivers lap at the time of deployment) or seatbelts not worn/improperly worn.

pretty good odds that the airbag, along w/ all other safety devices, will help you. I've seen cars that were folded in half over their drunken operators...and the DUI's survived uninjured even though first appearances made that outcome seem impossible. On the other hand a relatively minor collision w/ a deer and a ditch resulted in a small girl dying b/c she was only wearing the lap portion of her belt, which dug into her abdomenand bisected her liver (she was fine for several minutes, then she turned pale, and died). Looking at a crushed car doesnt mean you can discern what the likely result to the occupant(s) would've been. The odds are better for you if you have max crumple zones, airbags, and you're wearing your seatbelt. Nothings 100%, all you can do is give yourself the best shot.

I've had this debate before, and there's always someone w/ one anecdote (usually from an unknown origin) about how not wearing a seatbelt actually saved someone , or how an airbag deployed and killed/severly injured someone. Even if that one story istrue, I'll counter w/ personal experience in all the trauma wrecks I've gone to - and the results of those w/ airbags / seatbelts vs. those without. Add in the statistics and its pretty irrefutable

(i'd let anyone do what they wanted - no helmets, no seatbelts, no airbags - IF there was a way to sign a waiver to any taxpayer/healthcare dollars to pay for your injuries/burial as a result of poor decision making. Unfortunately there isn't a waiver......)

Old 05-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Celtic37
3rd Gear Member

On my Permit test one of the questions read:

Which of the following is true about safety belts and airbags?
a. You should always where you safety belt even if the car has an airbag/
b. You should never wear a safety belt because the air bag will save you
c. You should never wear a safety belt because in the event of an accident it will prevent you getting thrown to safety.

I wanted to put that down jsut to see how the person grading itwould look at me.