Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Leafspring lessons learned...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Joe Mama

Default Leafspring lessons learned...

My 65 was sagging a little in the back so I decided to replace the leaf springs with a set that were 1.5" higher than the stock springs. Picked up the kit on Ebay and it had everything I needed to do this job that was to be 'not too difficult' for the shadetree mechanic that I am.

Well, luckily for me, this lesson DIDNT cost me my life (I got realllllllly f'in lucky on this one)

I started by pulling my car up on a couple of ramps to give me clearance and a bit more stability - honestly I think those ramps that saved my life (or at the very leasta trip to the emergency room) From there (I dont know what the *&$! I was thinking, as I placed a jack stand under the rear axle thinking that this is what would drop out from the car when I removed the plate that secures the leaf springs to the frame (via the U-bolts) Unforunately for me, it was the rest of the car that came crashing down on me instead. I stayed pinned under my car for a total of 30 seconds before my wife came out to help me get it up enough to let me out and secure it in the correct spot. After the jackstand was set (I even left the jack there as a secondary) the passengers side leaf spring came out with little issue. (I planned to do the other side the following day)

The drivers side went a bit smoother and quicker (initially) until I got to the monster bolt that secures to the most forward part of the frame - it wouldnt budge. You could barely turn it with the big bertha breaker bar, but that was it. (It was going nowwhere) Long story short (too late) I ended up cutting the old leaf spring off, and then had to make several cuts to get the rest of the eyelet collar/rubber/moremetal off. I was then able to cut the bolt and sleeve in half. (And spend even more time with my air tools now) getting it all off. From there, it went like clockwork. The driver side leaf spring went in and was secured without any further incident. My car look a lot better now with the new leaf springs in place, but what a friggin ordeal - that almost cost me my life!
Thanks for the read
-Me
Old 05-27-2007, 11:12 PM
JamesW

Default RE: Leafspring lessons learned...

Did I understand what you just said.... yousupported the rear axle on jackstands, and then unbolted the Ubolts that hold the spring to the axle?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:17 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Dont feel too bad, my dad told me once he did that when he was young too. I used 3 sets of jackstands under my car while using the lift under the diff. till I dropped the leafs out.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:21 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Wow, that was one helluva story.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah it's pretty stupid to hold the rear up with the axle and then unbolt the axle from he body.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:44 PM
DenDen
1st Gear Member

Whe I wasyoung,I was arc welding under my old car,I was trying to get out(no creeper)and ended up hitting my gas tank with the end of the welding rod.Ya wanna talk about lucky.It made a hole in the tank and gas started leaking out,on fire of course.It was a small hole about the size if a pencil lead.I did what came to mind and hit the tank with my hand at the leak.The fire actuallywent out and I only had to deal with plugging the hole.My dad showed up and after a much deserved 'what for',he sealed it with a metal screw and a small rubber washer.
What doesnt kill us makes us smarter.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:54 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Glad to see your still with us......
Old 05-28-2007, 12:58 AM
maverick75
2nd Gear Member

gald to hear you alright
i remember two year ago i want unbolting the hood and i though that the prop rod coul support it so when i unbolted the last bolt it came down and hit me in the head and bent the hood prop.

i still havent put the hood back i'm going to add gas shocks t hold it up now.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:10 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Well, 2 things. 1) that was a good lesson(that you thankfully survived) and it teaches you to ALWAYS think everything through on how you're going to do a jobBEFORE you get started on a job. I've learned to do that for reasons just such as that, it saves you time and injury in the long run. 2) as far as stuck hardware(something we've all had to deal with) good air tools are your friend. Good impact guns and wrenches can be a HUUUGGGGEEEE timesaver with stuff like that. If you have good air tools and use penetrant most of that stuff just zips right out. When I did my traction bars I only had 1 nut on the passenger side u-bolt that wouldn't come easily. I'd lose my mind without my impact sometimes
Old 05-28-2007, 01:30 AM
hity645
2nd Gear Member

Wow thats scary, I was always confused when people said to be careful with the leaf springs cause we had no problem getting them out. Jacked the rear of the car up just enough to get the tires off the ground un bolted from the body placed stands in fron the axel and rolled everything out.

Quick Reply: Leafspring lessons learned...