Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

axle seal replace = difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Default axle seal replace = difficult?

i need to replace my rear axle seal, but not the bearing. i have never done it before but it seems simple enough, just take off the rear shoes and theres just like 4 bolts that hold them in right?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: axle seal replace = difficult?

OK, you say you have some mechanical skills so here goes. But, after reading this you are still confused, take the axle to a machine shop and have them press the bearing on and install the seal.
1. Raise and support vehicle, then remove rear wheel and tire assembly.
2. Clean all dirt from carrier cover area with a wire brush and/or cloth.
3. Remove axle housing cover and drain lubricant from axle.
4. Remove differential pinion shaft lock bolt and differential pinion shaft.
5. Push flanged end of axle shaft toward center of the vehicle, then remove C-lock from button end of axle shaft assembly.
6. Remove axle shaft from housing.

The bearingshould be repalced along with seal. No need to do this twice. To replace bearing:

Insert tool 1175-AC or equivalent, into housing bore and position it behind bearing so tangs on tool engage bearing outer race. Using slide hammer tool T50T-100-A or equivalent, remove bearing and seal as a unit.
Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
Lubricate new bearing with lubricant E0AZ-19580-A or equivalent, and install bearing into housing bore using tool T78P-1225-A or equivalent.
Install axle shaft seal using tool T78P-1177-A or equivalent. Apply lubricant C1AZ-19590-B or equivalent, between the lips of the seal. Installation of bearing or seal assembly without proper tool may result in an early bearing or seal failure. If seal becomes cocked in bore during installation, remove it and install a new one.
Check for presence of axle shaft O-ring on the spline end of the shaft and install if not present.
[/align]

[/align][/align][/align][/align]
[/align][/align][/align] [/align][/align]

[/align]
Old 05-30-2007, 03:02 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Basically right. You can see from this photo that you can actually remove the axle without disassembling the brakes, but be careful not to get grease on the shoes!!.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/.../photo_12.html
There is a hole in the axle you can align with the nuts so they can be removed with a socket. Axle may be stuck, you can reverse the brake drum and loosely attach to the drum to use as a slide hammer. If that doesn't work "rent" a slide hammer from the auto parts store. There should be a gasket between the bearing flange and the brake backing plate. I used RTV instead of the gasket. There is an official tool for removing the seal, but I've never used one, just carefully work out the old one however. Take the old seal to the store with you for comparison, the new seal must be the exact same diameter, but it may be thinner. The instruction in the shop manual to soak the seal in oil was for in the day when the seals were made of leather. Modern seals do not need soaking. You'll need something to seat the seal squarely into the seat, again special tools are available, but I used a 2" PVC pipe connector. I used a very thin coat of RTV on the seal where it fits in the seat. Not sure if it helped but I know it didn't hurt. Be careful reinstalling the axle to minimize dragging it across the seal. Do one side at a time just in case ....
Old 05-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

thanks guys, doesnt seem too hard, just a little time consuming. ill give it a shot after work
Old 06-01-2007, 12:30 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

OK, you say you have some mechanical skills so here goes. But, after reading this you are still confused, take the axle to a machine shop and have them press the bearing on and install the seal.
1. Raise and support vehicle, then remove rear wheel and tire assembly.
2. Clean all dirt from carrier cover area with a wire brush and/or cloth.
3. Remove axle housing cover and drain lubricant from axle.
4. Remove differential pinion shaft lock bolt and differential pinion shaft.
5. Push flanged end of axle shaft toward center of the vehicle, then remove C-lock from button end of axle shaft assembly.
6. Remove axle shaft from housing.

The bearingshould be repalced along with seal. No need to do this twice. To replace bearing:

Insert tool 1175-AC or equivalent, into housing bore and position it behind bearing so tangs on tool engage bearing outer race. Using slide hammer tool T50T-100-A or equivalent, remove bearing and seal as a unit.
Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
Lubricate new bearing with lubricant E0AZ-19580-A or equivalent, and install bearing into housing bore using tool T78P-1225-A or equivalent.
Install axle shaft seal using tool T78P-1177-A or equivalent. Apply lubricant C1AZ-19590-B or equivalent, between the lips of the seal. Installation of bearing or seal assembly without proper tool may result in an early bearing or seal failure. If seal becomes cocked in bore during installation, remove it and install a new one.
Check for presence of axle shaft O-ring on the spline end of the shaft and install if not present.
[/align]

[/align][/align][/align][/align]
[/align][/align][/align] [/align][/align]

[/align]
Soaring - looks like we were posting at the same time and gave different procedures. It looks to me that your post is for a 7.5" rear axle that would come with an I6 car and does not have the "4 bolts" that were mentioned in the first post. My description applies to either a 8" (which is probably what Mustangdemon67 has) or a 9". C-clips do not exist in either of these rearends.