Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Newbie Question - Purchasing a 66/67 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 PM
jedmustang

Default RE: Newbie Question - Purchasing a 66/67 Convertible

I have owned a 65 Poppy Red convertible with a six cylinder and 4-speed manual for 30 years. I am very happy with the 6 even if everybody who sees me driving in it asks "289?" This is the only Mustang I have ever owned or driven, so I can't give you any direct perspective on a V8. However........

From what you say about your wife's driving habits, I think she would be very happy with a six. I notice some other people have been encouraging you to go with a V8.

My car does have the manual 4-speed Daggenham transmission which was a rare option. It does provide nice acceleration but is certainly not a draggster. If the car is not full of people and weight in the trunk, you have plenty of power in normal traffic. I don't know how well an automatic transmission six will perform.

One really nice thing about the I6 is there is SO MUCH ROOMin the engine compartment for maintenance! The oil filter will almost change itself.

I drive the car in summer months only as a daily driver. I never worry about the cost of gas.

When you look at the price guides you will see there is a substantial reduction in price for the six. This means you will not have to pay as much for a car of equal quality. You can spend the extra cash on a new outfit for your beautiful wife. Sounds like she will look good in anything.

The six cylinder car has the 4 bolt wheels, and I don't think anybody makes custom wheels. So you will have to be happy with a nice set of stock wheel covers in good condition.

When I take my car out on the street on a beautiful sunny day in Anchorage Alaska, EVERYBODY loves seeing the car! I almost feel like I am doing the world a favor by making people happy. They really don't care what kind of engine is under the hood, they just like what they can see, which makes me happy as well.

So my advice is find the car you and your wife will like, and don't worry about the engine size. It's a used car, go for condition and price. It could turn out to be a V8 after all.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:26 PM
jedmustang

Jack --

One other point to consider about a convertible. A good working top.

My car has a manual top which means it is not a lady's car. It takes a lot of muscle to put it back up and clamp down. Especially when it is a cool day and the top fabric has set in wrinkles that need to be stretched.

For a lady, you surely want a power top that works flawlessly, and is easy to clamp into the windsheild frame.

Also, the windows need to roll up and down smoothly.

She will also probably want power steering. My car is manual.

Think about minimal effort for everything.

John
Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

I agree with alot of the other guys on here, go for the V-8, the 6 cylinders don't have much power and even as a cruiser, it'd be disapponting. Plus you get noticed more when people here low, grumbling exhaust from a V-8.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:35 PM
muggsy
2nd Gear Member

I own a 67 convertible and besides the things others have mentioned (cowls, floors, quarters), convertibles have inner rockers and torque boxes underneath which add support because there is no roof. These are the 2 most expensive things to fix because they were not factory galvanized and rust (rot) real easy. Even if the car appears rust free, check the inner rockers and torque boxes real closely. They are necessary for support and rot real easily. When you replace those, you also have to replace the floors at the same time, adding to the expense.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Wayne67vert
1st Gear Member

I have a '67 with a 289 automatic and manual steering. My wife's first car was a '67 coupe (long gone). Shelikes the car but won't drive it because of the steering. I converted to 3 point seat belts, head rests,and power discs to try and make her more comfortable. I will add rack and pinion steering and a/c (Central Fl summers are hot) so she can drive and enjoy our neat car. As it is she will only drive it when her Toyota is in the shop.
Try to find one with power brakes,steering, and a/c and you will have a better chance of your wife enjoying the car.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
ponee

You seem to know alot.
I have a question, I just resently bought a "69 covert, pony and the interior colour is very close to your exterior, the detail number plate on both doors is missing.
What would be the best way to find out the original ext. colour? Contacting FORD?
thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Contact www.martiauto.com for ALL assembly info on 1967 on Ford products.
Jim
Oh, it ain't free.