Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'65 Mustang Interior Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:13 PM
JamesW

Default RE: '65 Mustang Interior Questions

ORIGINAL: VintageBlue
- There are some highback seats in it already, but they have seat covers over them, so I assume the uppolstery is pretty trashed. Might just have them redone.
- It has a 5 lug conversion and an 8.8 rear on it.
- I am going to eventually go to discs brakes, just not quite were to start in that respect. I am gonna put in the 3 point in the front and have him ride up there.
Sounds to me like your car has already had significant modifications. Are you sure it's got an 8.8 rear end? And when you say 5 lug conversion, do you mean front, back or both?

Maybe a couple of pics of the car, motor and interior would help us in understanding what you're working with.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:05 PM
VintageBlue
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JamesW

ORIGINAL: VintageBlue
- There are some highback seats in it already, but they have seat covers over them, so I assume the uppolstery is pretty trashed. Might just have them redone.
- It has a 5 lug conversion and an 8.8 rear on it.
- I am going to eventually go to discs brakes, just not quite were to start in that respect. I am gonna put in the 3 point in the front and have him ride up there.
Sounds to me like your car has already had significant modifications. Are you sure it's got an 8.8 rear end? And when you say 5 lug conversion, do you mean front, back or both?

Maybe a couple of pics of the car, motor and interior would help us in understanding what you're working with.
The guy said he thought it had an 8.8 rear, but wasn't sure, and I am told both front and back are 5 lug conversions. Funny story, I haven't picked the car up yet and the only pictures I have are from what I was sent, but here they are:

The first picture was when the guy I am buying it from first started. I realize it still needs some work like paint, but I think it is a strong start to making a fun car.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 AM
JamesW

More than likely not an 8.8... as installing a Fox rear end (8.8) requires the removal of the 4 link style mounts and the rewelding of the saddle perches. It also makes for an offset rear end which has it's own issues with drivetrain alignment. I'm betting it's got an 8" rear end out of a 65 or 66 Mustang...

Looks like a fun project. That engine bay reminds me of mine when I bought the car. It too was an original 6 cylinder that a previous owner had installed a V8 in.

Since your car was an original T code 6 cylinder, and is already quite a ways from "stock" due to it's engine and suspension mods... I'd suggest not worryingtoo much about originality and OEM parts and instead focus on the safety issues. Pay particular attention to:

- Front suspension: Check the upper/lower ball joints for wear, as well as the upper control arm bushings. Check your strut rod and sway bar bushings.
- Steering: Most likely the steering is still the 6 cylinder setup. The V8 65 Mustang had a beefier steering system. Perhaps a future upgrade, for now check to see that all your inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, Idler arm bushings, are in good shape.
-Double check your brakes for wheel cylinder leaks, dragging, E-Brake working.
- Rear Suspension: Those shackles mean that the rear leafs are sagging just a bit...he needed to lift the rear toclear those somewhat oversized tires. Shackles make the rear end respond unnaturally... try to get rid of those as a priority and go with a standard rear leaf setup.
- You'll also be needing a heater core too*S*

Old 06-25-2007, 12:41 AM
VintageBlue
1st Gear Member

I wasn't so much worried about keeping it stock for value, but more for just looks. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards just getting the vinyl redone. I know there is a leak in the brakes somewhere. I am not really going to worry about it too much. I eventually want to convert to disc brakes, and since this is going to be a part time car, I think I can live with a little leak. I am really new at looking intot he engine bay of one of these things, so I assume you see the heater core missing. The guy says he has it, just hasen't hooked it up yet. Supposedly the hoses are all there, just plugged up. For some reason I want to say they put a 1.5" drop on it, but I could be thinking about another car I was looking at. That could be why the shackles look low. Thanks for the advice...definately some stuff to look into. You could be right about the rear end...I don't know much about the 5 lug conversion..my Mustang experience starts and stops with the '06's, but since they did a 5 lug conversion, I guess there is potential that they put in a new 8.8 rear end. The guy I am getting the car from bought it from the guy who was building it to be a hot rod, so it kind of makes sense he built the rear end up also.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:25 AM
JamesW

This is what an old Ford 8" looks like. Note the round 'pumpkin' in the back and the perches on each side that the springs are mounted up to. The 3rd member.. rear end gears are inserted from the front.

The hose that makes a loop from the front right of the intake manifold back around to the water pump.... that's done when the heater core is bypassed. The heater core is up under the dash on the passenger's side. I'd bet the heater core was leaking so he just bypassed it.

The shackles are the brackets on the back of the car where the back of the rear springs mount. They are used to extend the mount point of the rear springs, essentially lifting up the rear. It has been definately lifted in order to clear those wider than normal tires. Perhaps they put a 1.5" drop on the front through using lowering springs or relocated upper arms.

Don't be shy about posting pics and asking... between this group here... I bet we've seen most of the old hot rod mods done...
Old 06-25-2007, 03:09 AM
VintageBlue
1st Gear Member

I knew what the 8.8 looked like, but not the 8. Here is another shot of the rear. Can't really tell.

but from the location of the shackles, I would bet it is the 8, although, I think I can make out some bolts on the rear of the differential cover. Looks like the heater core will be easy to put back in service. I got some new pictures of the floor pans, which aren't that bad all things considered. Might replace them, might just get the holes patched for now. I would rather get the stuff you can see as well as fixing it up to make it a reliable daily. Thanks for your help so far. I am sure you can tell, these won't be the last questions I have.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:07 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

from the picture its a 8 inch or 9 inch the 8.8 you would see all the bolts plan as day. or ask him to take a picture of the rear end.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
JamesW

Pretty sure that's an 8 or 9"... 8.8s are offset slightly.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 PM
VintageBlue
1st Gear Member

well, hopefully I will know for sure here in the next week or so when I go pick it up. Thanks for your help guys. Just one more question.....as far as "standard" leaf springs, what should I be looking for to ensure I have the proper clearance of the tires?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Here is a pic of my wheel well with standard eye 4 leaf springs that are almost new. You can lower the car with mid or reverse eye springs if you want a lower look.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10034/5B275CA899FB42999BDE22524A3CCE41.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: '65 Mustang Interior Questions