Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Motor Mount question '67 289

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

Default Motor Mount question '67 289

I went to the local parts house and bought new motor mounts. The guy sold me two of the samemounts. He said the part number was the same for both the left and right mount. The mounts that came off the car are busted in half (imagine that), but the appear to look the same.

I attempted to reinstall the motor last night, but the mounts wouldn't line up. If I got one side anywhere near where it was supposed to go, the other was off by as much as an inch.

I didn't pay attention to the motor mounts when I pulled the motor out of the car, but they only seemed to bolt up one way when I attached to mounts to the block.

Just so you don't ask the obvious, I loosely attached the mounts to the block so there's lots of wiggle.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Motor Mount question '67 289

I'm pretty sure Jim stated that the '67 mounts are unique, contrary to what the catalogs all say. Hopefully he or somebody else familiar with the '67 can give you a heads up on what you need. In the meantime, locate your receipt for a return!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:56 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Jeff is correct, the small block engine mounting system is unique to 1967 and the mail order catalogs haven't figured it out yet. The mounting holes on the frame are located at a different angle, the brackets have a different angle and the insulators are at a different angle as well. Nothing but a 67 mount will work on a 67- except for the universal types.
Options:
1 Find a good used set of 67 insulators.
2 Drill new holes in the frame to accomodate 68 to 70 small block brackets and insulators.
I don't want to go into the third.
Jim
Old 07-02-2007, 04:50 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

I just went to John's Mustangs at lunch. John's Mustangs is the Houston version of Mustangs Unlimited. Hesaid the two mountsare the same. The motor mounts he stocks are exactly what I bought from O'Reilly Auto Parts.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Well yours don't fit so I would go to John's Mustang and tell him to look at the Ford Car Parts manual, section 60.4 pg 4, and tell you why the Ford service part numbers are different for 289 engines between 67 and 68. Idid the measurements two years ago when the owner of a 67 289 Fastback I was helping to restore had the same problem - the aftermarket insulators do not fit.
Jim
Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Jim,

Will aftermarket mounts like Ron Morris Performance work? I haven't seen '67 mounts so I don't know.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:16 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Here's one guy's solution, I'm passing on the info, not endorsing it, that is for you to decide.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=689221
Old 07-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: highhilleer

Here's one guy's solution, I'm passing on the info, not endorsing it, that is for you to decide.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=689221
Sounds like southern engineering to me John, but I guess if it works, it works. I'm surprised Ford hasn't corrected this mistake. I guess it is kinda like having automatic starters listed as manual transmission starters.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:01 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

The rubber in my old insulators were broke, so the insulators came out in two pieces. Going by what that other forum post described, I might try to drill two holes through the rubber and steel, then bolt the two pieces together. How bad of an idea is this?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

It's not a mistake, it's a design difference between years: you know - 'Ford had a better idea' - not. Up until the early 80's, the different Ford automotive design groups (engine, transmission, body, interior, etc) did their own thing, used their own hardware, pointed fingers when something didn't fix, the normal daily things for an old stoggy company. Competition from foreign companys (read Japanese) forced Ford to streamline, modernize, impliment a horid manufacturing concept known as 'JIT'. Most of the problems from previous years went away. All that was left from the mess wereservice parts, the stuff we need.
Jim

Quick Reply: Motor Mount question '67 289