Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

short headers or no??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:14 PM
quinchem
1st Gear Member

Default short headers or no??

As I'm looing around for headers it seems there are 2 types. Standard (I guess) and the shorties. Is there an advantage to either? I don't care except for ease of installation and getting replacement parts. I've included a link to a set I may be interested in....or should I go for the shorties??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-66...30070573QQrdZ1

Thanx
Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: short headers or no??

There are for types
Stock cast iron
Tri-Y used with early shelby's (like the ones in your link)
Shorties and
Long tube.
There are several manufactures of each and quality and fit varies quite a bit.
If you're going for all out performance, long tubes are the way to go. IMHO either tri-y or shorties are fine for a street driver and give you more room under the car for clearing speed bumps. There are a lot of opinions on proper header selection, so let the fun begin.

By the way - do not expect the chrome to look good for very long. Some headers tend to warp and pull away from the block resulting in exhaust leaks and a need to retorque the bolts. The key is to find a header with a thick flange. Since the ebay seller doesn't mention flange thickness, you might ask and compare to the specs for a quality header.

Good luck
Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

save your money and buy a good pair them on ebay look like crap.the chrome plating wont stay on long.highhilleer is right get a set of tri y ones youll love them.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Headers are not the sort of thing that you plan on replacing pieces of, other than the reducers and the various gaskets, which are standard parts anyway. When the tubes go, it's probably time to replace the rest of the exhaust system, especially if there's been much winter-weather driving involved.

I guess the "ease of installation" requirement removes a fifth header type from consideration (180° crossover).

Norm
Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Go with Tri-Y headers. No fitment problems. My only suggestion is that you go with ceramic coated headers. Chrome ones, won't be chrome for long.

[/align]
Old 07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I have equalength headers on my Bronco and love them. They are easy to install and do not hurt low end torque. They are also ceramic coated, so they will last forever. I have regular steel full length headers on my '69 Mach 1. I did not have a choice on what I got due to the restrictions on size and clearance. There is only one model and manufacturer of header that will fit a '69 Mach 1 351C 4V with PS and 4MT. I also do not like how low they hang. I do hit things with them from time to time. They sound great and perform great, but will not last as long as the ceramic coated ones and do create ground clearance problems. I bet I do not have more than 5 inches of ground clearance....I will measure this afternoon.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yep, Urbancowboy's headers are rusty due to them being steel, and they barely fit with his 351C in his 69. I believe I would opt for the tri-y's too if they will fit. Ceramic coating costs a ton of money, but worth it over the long haul.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:49 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Yeh. You generation 1 mustang guys have more options than the 69-70 folks do. Wish I could find a Tri Y or shorty that would fit, but no such luck. I just take want I can get.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:09 AM
quinchem
1st Gear Member

Thanx for the advice. I'll go with the tri-Y ceramic coated...any particular brand orplace I should look for them?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

My experience is that you absolutely cannot go wrong with JBA headers for your early Mustang. Granted you'll pay more, but they will fit, last, look good and perform.

http://products.jbaheaders.com/featu...mustangnew.asp

I haven't used their tri-ys but have had excellent results with the shortys in two different vehicles.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: short headers or no??