Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang Gift for my Grandfather --PICS--

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:34 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Mustang Gift for my Grandfather --PICS--

As a few of you may recall, awhile ago my dad and I (mainly my dad) were looking for a 1968 Mustang Coupe to get for his stepdad. My grampa had a 1968 Pebble Beige coupe w/ vinyl top that he bought off the showroom floor. So my dad always wanted to buy him his "first car" which he loved, mainly because he had to sell a separate car he owned in order to put my dad through his last year of college.

A few weeks ago my dad came across a great looking car in Modesto, CA (norther CA). He called on this ad which was 1 month old, hoping that by a stroke of good luck it wasn't sold yet. This car had a true Deluxe interior (only 9,009 with it), AC, floor AND overhead console, vinyl top, with a brand new metallic blue paint job. Too good to be true. So a few days later the guy called my dad and said he did not sell the car, because he wants it to go to a good owner since it is his baby.

Turns out this guy has owned this car for 28 years, and the original color was what he calls "birdsh!t brown" (hahahaha), but went on to say it was a beige/cream color. In other words, the original color of this car IS the same as my grampa's old car. This is just too good.

So the very next day my dad and I drove to Modesto to buy this car if it turns out as good as it sounds. The owner agreed over the phone to sell it after hearing my dad's story and knowing that it will be passed on through the family for quite some time. I think the drive was 7 hours, and when we get there, the car is pretty much as good as we thought. Just minor things. But the interior is near immaculate, original upholstry (except driver seat), new carpet, original headliner, and the paint looks pretty good.

In short, we ended up buying the car and then driving it from Northern California all the way to Las Vegas to suprise my grampa on his birthday which was the very next day. The 68 held up the whole way with NO problems whatsoever. We suprised my grampa and at first he thought it was my car, then he realized it wasn't and started catching on. When we told him it was his, he says "You've got to be sh!tting me" and the look on his face was priceless. He loved the color despite it not being what he had. However, the car he sold for my dad's college tuition WAS a metallic blue bug, and blue is his favorite color so it worked out great.

Anyway here's the pictures, just thought I'd share with the forum our great find and great present.

At Seller's house

Huge metal flake

My dad and I

Pit stop at my dad's friend's house 20 minutes from Modestor

Nice Hills

My grampa and I

"You've got to be sh!tting me!"

Nice fresh wash

Deluxe interior

`

Map lights

And that concludes it for now, I have more pics but they get repetative. Also have to keep it semi-internet friendly!

-David Couch
Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 PM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Gift for my Grandfather --PICS--

That is a great story.. thanks..
Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Cargon

I bet your grandpa creamed his pants.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:08 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

anybody wanna surprise me on my birthday by buying me an awsome mustang?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

you guys did something nice. last christmas we all bought my grandfather a 05 caddy cts. i drove it over there he kept talking about my new car he cried when we took him outside and handed him the keys. our parents and grand parents have done alot to make sure we have a better life sometimes its nice to give back to them.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:07 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Wow that is awesome i bet he was suprised. I can't think of any better gift then a mustang!!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Astrawn
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I feel like crap. I got my dad an iTunes gift card for his birthday.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Haha thanks guys for the compliments on what we did. He was totally suprised, he loves the car. When he was driving it he started to get teary eyed and choked up a bit. It was a great weekend, minus the 9 hour drive from NorCal to vegas [:@]
Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

very cool, i wish i could do that for my dad someday, 73 mach 1, red with black interior, 351C 4v with bigger cam and ntake and methanol
injectors, remake his car that was stolen.

on an unrelated note, 4reboy, how old are you? you look young
Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atomsk680
on an unrelated note, 4reboy, how old are you? you look young
I'm 16, 17 in september. I know I look young haha. I havn't hit my major growth spirt yet [:@] supposedly I'm suppposed to be 6'2", still waitin' lol.

Quick Reply: Mustang Gift for my Grandfather --PICS--