Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New Member-PICS-65Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Angelou

Default New Member-PICS-65Mustang

Hello, my name is Mario and the proud new owner of a 1965 Mustang Coupe. Here are some pics of her:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/DSCN3177.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/DSCN3165.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/DSCN3167.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/DSCN3196.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/DSCN3203.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/DSCN3199.jpg

Shes a beauty, paid 9grand for her. She has a few things I need to fix/change, minor. Quick questions..
The fumes(gas) inside the car are way too strong for it to be normal. People tell me it's normal for older cars to do that, but the fumes are way too much. So what can I do to fix that? Also if you look at the last pic, what is that connector for? Any additional info would be good. I want to fix the engine so that it looks kinda like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...27/stangv8.jpg
Some people have told me that Holley Carburators are not the best, is this true?..and maybe thats why the fumes are too strong. Thank You for the help.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 AM
390bigblock
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Member-PICS-65Mustang

thats a nice buy for 9 grand for the fuel smell you might want to replace all the gaskets and the fuel lines to make sure theres no leaks. i would just checl the normal places for rust if you already havnt floor wheel housing and trunk.. i personly like edelbrock but ive never usd holleys so i dont know wut 1 is better, and the connector in the last pic could be for an electric shroud fan but i have no idea and i suck with electrical.....
Old 07-30-2007, 03:27 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

holley made the autolite carbs, if im not mistaken, so i would go with holley, i have an edelbrock 650 but am looking for a holley right now
Old 07-30-2007, 06:26 AM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

I believe that connector is for the passenger side horn. Should be an identical connector on the driver side as well. On the 66 it's a yellow/blue wire. Not positive about the 65. As far as the carbs go... I honestly haven't had much experience with either. I've owned a few Mustangs and I've always stuck with the stock Autolite carb. It almost seems as though it depends on what forum you frequent. The majority on this forum tend to prefer the Edelbrock's. On the other forum I frequent, they prefer the Holley's and Demon's. Everyone pretty much agrees that the Autolites are a great carb either way. Everyone has there different experiences though. They're all top brands and I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck and do your research to form your own opinion. That's half the fun!

Chris
Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

That is a great looking car. I like that shade of red.
I bought a 66 coupe earlier this year & like your car it has a Holley & also had a strong gas smell inside the car. In fact I smelled like gas & exhaust a little after driving it (or at least I thought I did).
I found a couple of small open screw holes in the firewall that would allow some smell to get into the car so I put a dab of silicone in them.I also put a little around where the heater hoses enter the car. It helped a little.
But then I found that the fumes were getting into my car through the cowl intake that is right behind the hood. It had the rubber seal that is mounted on a strip at top of firewall but when the hood was closed there was still a big (1/4" or more) gap between the seal & the hood, especially in the middle area. I bought a small roll of automotive/marine weatherstrip from Lowes (less than $10) and put a strip of it along the rear underside of my hood where it would line up with the existing seal when closed. That closed up the gap & 100% eliminated the gas smell inside the car.
If yours is missing the cowl seal it is pretty cheap to buy at the supply houses.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

I agree that connector looks like it's for the 2nd horn. I think 1 horn has a high tone & the other has a low tone. At least that's how it is on my 66.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If you are smelling fumes, then you have a leak. It is not normal no matter what other people tell you. There are two spots to check that are famous spots of these old cars to check forst. First, open your trunk and look down at the gas filler neck. You will notice a rubber hose connecting the neck to the tank. Those hoses are famous for cracking and leaking. If you smell gas in the trunk, it might be that or your tank has pin holes in the top of it. Raise up the mat and check the top of the tank. The other famous spot is the carburetor itself. Look on the intake manifold behind the carb and if you see a puddle of gas there, then your carb is leaking.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM
67Rally
2nd Gear Member

I think we're focusing on the term gas fumes. Some folks have a hard time differentiating between exhaust and gas fumes especially when engine might be running rich.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:21 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Nice looking car, I like the wheels to. Like a few people said before, that connector is for your passenger side horn. I don't know much about carbs so I can't help you there, but I'm sure a bunch of other members will be able to. Good luck and welcome.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 67Rally

I think we're focusing on the term gas fumes. Some folks have a hard time differentiating between exhaust and gas fumes especially when engine might be running rich.
Well, he specifically said gas fumes and not exhaust fumes. There is a big difference in the smell of each.