Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Giving our daughter a 69 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:52 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Default Giving our daughter a 69 Mustang

OK so after a family meeting we have decided to give our second daughter one of our 69 Mustangs as a first car. Nowshe will turn 16 next March, So I will have plenty of time to work it into a reliable vehicle! She isn't realy into 'old school' cars but after her older sister totaled aone year old05 Cobalt SS (not her fault butlong story) Irefuse to buy aNEW carthistime around!(we have learned from our mistakes lol and with 4 daughters it could be costly)So after showing her (the 15 yo) pis of a '69 Mustang from the netshe is ok with driving it. I mean really at the most IF it was to get in a wreck (assuming noone got seriously injured) what wouldwe be out 10K or sopfth Hell I'm sorry but that NO classs Cobalt SScost twice that... So in the big picture of life who really cares... Yes my wife and I have loved Mustangs for over 30 years but the next generation doesn't seem interested in the old iron!
I guess my question is to the younger crowd is what would you like(or have liked)in a retro car that you would be driving to high school. It'll already have a stereo system in it, alarm, EFI, remote start, etc. She already knows that SHE will be the only driver, as inIF I find out her boyfriend ever drives it, they will both be walking (proved that with her older sister and the 06 Vert Mustang) we live in a small community and when some frinds saw some guy driving our car and pic showed up on our oldest's myspacethe 18 yogot the keys taken away for good after the second warning! (yes I'm a hard a$$ but If they are unwilling to live by our rules they will NOT be driving our vehicles! PERIOD!) The 18 yo got to drive an 06vertMustang her whole senior year but 2 weeksbefore graduation we took the car from her.... because she didn't follow rules...

Kind of long winded but I would like to make this '69 Mustang something my daughter, her friends and I can be very proud of. So if you guys have some ideas I would like to hear them.. also IF you would indicate your age so I could try and figure out where you are comming from.

FYI Her (the 15yo) fiirst choice in rides right now todayis a 99-02 short bed 4wd Chevy truck.... But we aren't going there! lol
Old 08-10-2007, 04:55 AM
RHD_stang

Default RE: Giving our daughter a 69 Mustang

well, when i was in school (5 years ago) i would have been proud to drive a 69 mustang (in ANY condition lol) i think most people that i know would have killed for the chance to drive a classic muscle car to school even once.

i totally agree with your rules, and i think they are fair, when i had my first car at 16 my parents said no one else outside the family was to drive it, if i had've let a friend drive it i'd still be walking lol.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 AM
jeremysmith1967

My 67 coupe wasmy first car (when I was 17, now 20) but it is kind of a different situation since me and my dad restored it and I was very into the project. Getting that car to fit a 15yo girl is going to be a bit difficult if she isn't interested in them. I'm not sure what kind of motor/trans you are planning on putting in, but I would recommend the most underpowered option you can come up with. I say this because I when I first got my car on the road I did some things I definetly shouldn't have done because I wasn't skilled enough to pull them off at 17.

After reading what I just typed I didn't really answer any of your questions but I hope I help in some way.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:04 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

i drove a 65 impala in highschool even primered i stood out and i went to stuck up school i was the only one with out a bmw/benz.why she want that ugly truck only gm trucks worth buying are early 80s and back. if she dont want the mustang ill take it lol.dont give you car alot of power power steering and brakes are a must auto or stick up to her. show her some pictures on here of 69/70 mustangs see if any she loves.id make sure she can really drive.my mom would take me in huge parking lots after a good rain id be driving she would jerk the wheel get the car to skid i had to pull out of it. maybe send her to a great driving school might save her life.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

Graduated high school 12 years ago. I merely wanted my car to have A/C, P/S, and disc brakes. North FL in the summer with no A/C was not a lot of fun. It was better than walking though.

As for the stereo system, yeah need a good one for the parking lot at school! As for other options, I really can't think of any to make it more attractive to her.

P.S. If she doesn't want it, you can adopt me and I'll drive it
Old 08-10-2007, 07:06 AM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

We bought our 16 year old daughter a 1980 Camaro RS for the same reasons you mentioned. Cool enough to not be ashamed and yet expendable enough to risk demolition by a young female driver. BUT, there's a downside.

It seems that none of her friends ridicule her for having an older car, in fact most of them like it. Unfortunately, the hairy legged boys really like it. She has always been a popular kid and plays varsity fastpitch for her high school, but this little black Camaro draws a lot of looks from the boys. Frankly, I don't like it too much. Just one of the side effects to having a cute kid with a neat car.

Fortunately I'm 6'3" and weigh in at a scant 260 pounds. Convincing little boys to live by my rules hasn't been a problem. I don't know what I'll do when she goes away to college and I'm a little further away. [:@]

Good luck, Dean

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/5141C65CDA4E4865A0E4E757DE70738C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/DF6F7CB9852A49228A6055831F7104AF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-10-2007, 07:31 AM
ty4my66

I am a girl (well ol lady of 32now) and I would of crapped my pants if my parents would of offered me a 60 anything model mustang when I turned 16. she is lucky and doesnt even know it,,,,yet...
Old 08-10-2007, 07:35 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

You wanted things to think about, will she be able to afford the gas? What about insurance? Is she level headed enough and a good enough driver to drive a car without all of the safety nannies that people are so accustomed to these days??

This has nothing to do with a mustang, but when my daughter starts driving (many, many years from now), I am gonna buy her a Miata. Good on gas, fairly safe, reliable, NO BACK SEAT!!! She will think that I am just a loving dad cuz I bought her a cutesy little convertible, but I will know better

Besides, not many teenage boys will wanna be rolling around in a chick car.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:22 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

When I was looking for my first car, all I wanted was LOTS of power. That's what I got with my Mustang. I was looking for a 4-speed car with a V-8, plain and simple. I'd imagine that some high school girls would want the same thing considering this past week I've had three of them surround my car at least twice to tell me how nice it was. She'll probably be looking for power steering, power brakes, and A/C. Oh yeah, I'm a 17 year old guy.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i think your insane. girls who dont know how to drive and blabber on the cell phone while talking to a car load of friends do NOT need to be driving a 69 mustang. you say pfff its 10k if she smashes it - its one less classic to be around if she smashes it. if you wanna get her something that has presence but is truely expendible at this point why dont you look into fox body stangs? you can pick up an clean 5.0 hatch, notch, or vert with an auto, EFI, good brakes, etc for cheaper than the 69. it would alot easier for her to drive, and if she smashes it its not the end of the world.

Quick Reply: Giving our daughter a 69 Mustang