Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

"Might as Well"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:44 PM
scouttrooper
1st Gear Member

Default RE: "Might as Well"

Father-in-law hands me an opportunity to restore a stripped to tub, metal already-welded, primed and ready to reassemble '65 convertiblefor $4,500. Everyone that saw what he was trying to sell was afraid of it... My whole project was a Might as well... Brought the car 250 miles back to our home in two trailers; one for the car and big parts and the other for 20+ apple boxes of parts he'd been collecting for the 20 years it sat stripped. It was a 1 1/2 year long game of concentration. I hadn't been there when it was taken apart. It was, "look at the manuals, and find a pair of parts that look like those... I know I saw that in one of these boxes..." Completed the project restoring it to the original I-6. ANTI-MUSCLE! Wife is attached to the girly car, but she likes a little get up and go too, so.... I stumbled onto a 289... Might as well. Opened it up to check it... engine was a wasteland of about to fail parts. Rebuild it?? That's when "might as well," evolved into "what the hell". That V-8 led to a C-4 which turned into a T-5 and different rear-end
...and granada front discs, jeep rear discs, power brake booster, master cylinder, wheels and tires, suspension upgrades... $15,000 worth of do-it-yourself later, it is a cool car. And if I'm being honest, (don't tell my wife), I can imagine some future "mightaswell-ing"... rack and pinion, and the air conditioning up and running... it's only a matter of time...... oh ya, and money. My car owns me. He kindly allows me to believe I own him.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

haha, great thread
I inherited a 1971 Australian Fairlane with a tired 302. Bought a 78 Fairlane with a 351C running on LPG for the engine. It had a 9" - Might as well. Rear disc brakes - might as well. It had later model power steering (powered box not ram type) - Might as well.

Anyhow, the LPG had to be basically replaced. The power steering box involved chassis rail mods for mounting and then the box crapped out and had to be replaced too. I had to convert to a floor shift which cost me the middle seat on the bench effectively. Rear discs werent compatible with the parking brake - still havent got that right. 9" diff was totally shagged. New drive shaft needed to fix the vibration (it didnt) 8" diff (in perfect condition) got "lost" by the shop. As did perfectly working c4. FMX that is now in it needs rebuild. Linkages dont work properly and torque converter pretty sure is out of balance (the vibe that still wont go away)... thousands spent. No end in sight and then i discover just how bad the rust is in the rear quarters.[:@]

Moral - KISS
Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

Clutch fork on the Toploader failed, so "might as well" do the T5 conversion while the tranny is out. And "might as well" add thatcable clutch and ditch that nasty mechanical clutch linkage. And, what the heck, "might as well" just pull the engine and tranny together to fix those engine oil leaks and replace gaskets - and oh yeah - "might as well" paint the engine bay while I'm at it and hide those electrical wires! Oh yeah - did I fail to mention that "might as well"convert to an electricfan, which brings on the "might as well" convert to a 3G alternator! The headlight relay harness might also get the "might as well"treatment while I'm in there as well! I'm sure we can all go on and on and on and on and.....
Old 08-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

yeh, but look where your car is today - wanna swap for the fairlane?? It would be a pretty unique car in the US
Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

The 66 has been a "might as well" project from the start as JMD said, but I fun replacing every part.... Hey it gave us something to do on the weekends and reasons to sneak away from work early... To think it all started with wanting to stop.... disk brakes were a necessity... and I used hat excuse from there on out
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

mine isn't so bad, but has happend twice. When I was redoing my engine/engine bay, we (my dad and I) first took off the heads to get a valve job, found out one was cracked in two spots so we decided to rebuild the bottom end as well since we don't know what kind of shape it would be in. So once the engine was out I decide to start cleaning up the engine bay, it went from chemical remover and sanding, to sandblasting the whole thing. And then we decided to remove the booster and master cylinder and brake lines to make it cleaner, turns out i needed a new booster and master cylinder anyway.

Then recently I started restoring my trunk compartment to which I soon found tons of rust eaten through along where the gas tank is. So then I knew it had to be redone somehow so I yanked the gas tank to only reveal more rust under that. I also knew my passenger floor pan was rusted out so I decided to strip the whole interior, front to back. Next think you know i'm removing the chrome, scoops, glass, and everything inside and out. I had the hole car sandblasted and its now in the body shop getting new floor pans, door skin, tons of patches, and a grade A paint job
Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Great responses everyone, I was, and still amlaughing my *** off, but I was not laughing at anyone, considering my position, the best I could do was laugh with everyone!!It is good to know I am not alone!!

Cheers!!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i did the might as well 4whl disc conversion[8D] instead of just the frnts and then i mights as well upgrade to 13inch kit for the fronts to fill up my might as well bullit rims
Old 08-15-2007, 12:15 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: restomod66

Soaring,
I have been teaching since 1986 in the industrial arts/technology education field. I started off teching at the HS level in North Kingstown, RI or Quonset Point(military base). I am now teaching at the middle school level grades 6-8 basically woodworking and manufacturing based curriculum. I enjoy my job greatly as I am sure that you did when you were in action. I have a great shop set-up and do community service projects to help our community with their various needs. It is great to be able to talk to a fellow educator and mustang enthusiast. It would be nice to meet you in person some day!!!! I would like to see old yeller in person!!

About every three months or so I say the same thing, "I'm getting out of engineering, moving to a small town in Minnesota and becoming a shop teacher and hockey coach at a high school". Is it as fun and rewarding as I daydream it to be?