Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

ORIGINAL: tarafied1

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Everybody who has been a member on here for any time at all knows that I think a classic mustang with an EFI engine is just wrong. You may as well put a Toyota engine in it as far as I am concerned. It's the same thing. You are putting an engine into a classic that was not designed for a classic Mustang. I like Motorcraft carbs.
I respect your opinion and I like Carbs too. I have a Holley on my 67 but I'm not sure how putting EFI on a classic car is the same as putting a Toyota engine in a Mustang. From the purist point of view I entirely respect the carb, but Ford makes EFI for 5.0's that is so easy to adapt and would be ALL Ford parts. Even an aftermarket system is no different than changing gears, wheels, exhaust, cams, etc., etc.
Anyway to each his own.
Craig
There were no EFI engines, or 5.0 engines in the 1965-73 classic cars. Why do you guys constantly want to put them into a car that was not designed for those engines? Buy a Fox body and do anything with it that you want. An EFI in a classic is no more different than a Toyota or any other engine in a classic because the engine was not designed for a classic car. The next thing out of your mouth will be to put a 350 bow tie in a classic Mustang because it is an American made engine. I draw the line in the sand. If the engine was not designed for the classic car, then it does not belong in there. Find yourself another hobby.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:49 PM
JamesW

Default RE: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

Ahhh..it's good to be back off vacation and back to the stream of consternation.

Glen,
Please stop telling board members to go find another hobby because they disagree with you.

thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 03:51 PM
JamesW

ORIGINAL: scouttrooper

Check this out. There is a universal EFI computer being sold that has no real limitations as you dial it in. This gives you complete control over fire as well as fuel. It is sold as a "learning tool", probably so no one can come back on them and claim the company destroyed an engine. Here it is...

http://www.megasquirt.info/

A person would have to learn how advance affected things. You'd have to know about types of FI. But it would allow you to collect just about any parts for cheap and have them work. Fun or futility?
Megasquirt and Pro-Flow are both excellant adaptations to using EFI on an existing motor. I personally liked using the OEM setup because I felt it was, quite frankly....as simple, and less expensive.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JamesW

Ahhh..it's good to be back off vacation and back to the stream of consternation.

Glen,
Please stop telling board members to go find another hobby because they disagree with you.

thanks
Another hobby would be to get a Fox body Mustang and build all the 5.0 EFI engine you wish to pursue, but leave our classic carburated engines alone in our classic bodied Mustangs, designed in the mid 60's for mid 60's performance and comfort. It is inherent that we will reach a disagreement on this forum because we have a 40 something year old car that screams to be road worthy. Some of us are wishing to keep our 40 year old cars as they came from the factory with adjustments to parts in order to keep them on the road as a daily driver, whereas there are others who heavily modify their perfectly good classic Mustang into a car that it was never meant to be, and then there are those who just want to keep them running to drive to school.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

This site has a information on most, if not all, the aftermarket EFI computers that are available.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:39 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

I agree with you that some want to keep it original, I'm okay with that. As far as Ford not intending them to have EFI, it is not a reason we can't update them today. Cars that are rare or close to original would be a shame to modifya lot but putting EFI doesn't change them anymore than adding other things like chrome valve covers or dual exhaust. It can easily be put back. I am just not big on the looks of a FOX or I would modify one of those. I like the style of the classic and even if I modify the look a little it still doen't look like a FOX body. Again, I respect anyone who wants to keep it original but modifing a classic is not wrong because some people don't like it.
I know we won't agree but don't send us away please.
Craig
Old 08-19-2007, 05:24 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Old 08-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 12-22-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Guess what Craig. We don't have modern engines in our classic cars. Ast least not the guys who are serious about keep their cars original.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
JamesW

Geez guys...we've been down this trail a bazillion times. Modifying Mustangs started April 18th 1964 and people have been doing it ever since. Back then we 'jacked them up', 'souped them up', and "tricked them out".

Somewhere down the line, the hobby took the cars back to original. They became "Classics". Somewhere else down the line, the hobby has continued the modifications.

Some people like their cars homemade vanilla, some like them Peaches & Cream. The point is... we all like them. It's like arguing over which BlueBell flavor is best. They're all good.

Quick Reply: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?