Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:49 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: tarafied1

Everybody who has been a member on here for any time at all knows that I think a classic mustang with an EFI engine is just wrong. You may as well put a Toyota engine in it as far as I am concerned. It's the same thing. You are putting an engine into a classic that was not designed for a classic Mustang. I like Motorcraft carbs.
I respect your opinion and I like Carbs too. I have a Holley on my 67 but I'm not sure how putting EFI on a classic car is the same as putting a Toyota engine in a Mustang. From the purist point of view I entirely respect the carb, but Ford makes EFI for 5.0's that is so easy to adapt and would be ALL Ford parts. Even an aftermarket system is no different than changing gears, wheels, exhaust, cams, etc., etc.
Anyway to each his own.
Craig
There were no EFI engines, or 5.0 engines in the 1965-73 classic cars. Why do you guys constantly want to put them into a car that was not designed for those engines? Buy a Fox body and do anything with it that you want. An EFI in a classic is no more different than a Toyota or any other engine in a classic because the engine was not designed for a classic car. The next thing out of your mouth will be to put a 350 bow tie in a classic Mustang because it is an American made engine. I draw the line in the sand. If the engine was not designed for the classic car, then it does not belong in there. Find yourself another hobby.
You know Glen there is room in this hobby for everyone, if you don't care for a new modern engine in a great looking classic ride that's your right, but how do you get off telling people what they should or should not do with THEIR car. Not everyone wants a classic Stang that can't beat a Honda Civic and handles like a Model T. Original is great for some of the more rare cars but who cares if some guy wants to moderize his 6 cylinder 66 coupe.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: tarafied1

Everybody who has been a member on here for any time at all knows that I think a classic mustang with an EFI engine is just wrong. You may as well put a Toyota engine in it as far as I am concerned. It's the same thing. You are putting an engine into a classic that was not designed for a classic Mustang. I like Motorcraft carbs.
I respect your opinion and I like Carbs too. I have a Holley on my 67 but I'm not sure how putting EFI on a classic car is the same as putting a Toyota engine in a Mustang. From the purist point of view I entirely respect the carb, but Ford makes EFI for 5.0's that is so easy to adapt and would be ALL Ford parts. Even an aftermarket system is no different than changing gears, wheels, exhaust, cams, etc., etc.
Anyway to each his own.
Craig
There were no EFI engines, or 5.0 engines in the 1965-73 classic cars. Why do you guys constantly want to put them into a car that was not designed for those engines? Buy a Fox body and do anything with it that you want. An EFI in a classic is no more different than a Toyota or any other engine in a classic because the engine was not designed for a classic car. The next thing out of your mouth will be to put a 350 bow tie in a classic Mustang because it is an American made engine. I draw the line in the sand. If the engine was not designed for the classic car, then it does not belong in there. Find yourself another hobby.
You know Glen there is room in this hobby for everyone, if you don't care for a new modern engine in a great looking classic ride that's your right, but how do you get off telling people what they should or should not do with THEIR car. Not everyone wants a classic Stang that can't beat a Honda Civic and handles like a Model T. Original is great for some of the more rare cars but who cares if some guy wants to moderize his 6 cylinder 66 coupe.
Room - sure; criticism - you bet; controversy - goes with the territory. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Jim
Old 08-19-2007, 09:04 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Trust me, I can more than stand the heat. I wasn't always into the modern cars. You want controversy try modding a 60's era Mopar and see what the "purists think". The numbers matching Mopar bunch are the worst about this kinda thing. Don't even dare utter the word "clone" around them.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 PM
JamesW

Not sure your position Jim, are you saying the kitchen (this section) isfor original unmodified mustangs?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Glen you fizz up over this like mentos in a pepsi bottle
actually Toyota make some good quad cam v8s with plenty of potential[8D]
Ol Yeller would smack the pants of his little brother then.[sm=gears.gif]
Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JamesW

Not sure your position Jim, are you saying the kitchen (this section) isfor original unmodified mustangs?
I think there was a poll on this subject for this portion of the 'mustang forums' called 'classic mustangs' and the results were to keep it combined. There is no reference to modified, restomod or pure stock in the title or anywhere, it's - 'classic'.So I can't help laughing when Glen or myself, get critical of the modified. I've donestrip,track, off-road and now restorations, and it's still a learning process for me. I note that someone with a 750 cfm carb decision, problem or recomendation, or my 'wheels don't fit', the modified guys jump all over it with wild, unusual andstrange things to say. But when somebody has a 'generic' problem with a gauge or wiring, the mod guys avoid that poster as if they had leprosy.
Jim
Old 08-19-2007, 09:54 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I'm not good with gauges and wiring [8D]. People answer the questions they know the answers to. Well, not always, but you get what I mean.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:58 PM
JamesW

So the "kitchen"...is the classics, whether it be unrestored, restored, strip, track, off road, modified, or whatever the case may be...it's all about helping each other achieve what ever it is they are trying to achieve...right?

I've noticed how you usually answer posts... youchime inwhen you have a helpful fact or opinion and otherwise don't belittle others for their preferences. All I wish is that others would do the same.

If I know the answer on wire gage or original part condition I will chime in... but sadly my car was so originally butchered that I woudn't know right from wrong.

BTW... I have had that calendar shot of your white GT in my garage for years.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Thanks. I'll tell the photographer. In that session, he kept asking me about the car and what did I do to it, mods and such. I told him none, well very few. When that particularshot was made, I was concerned about the lights wearing down the old battery and neither of us had jumpers. I held the reflector to get more light to the front of the car.
If you want to see some nice photos of a great variety of cars, go to http://www.ronkimballstock.com/
Jim
Old 08-19-2007, 10:10 PM
scouttrooper
1st Gear Member

Default Not about to pick on Soaring, and I listen to your position, but...

I cannot for the life of me figure out why you are so passionate about something that seems so individual and, well... unimportantto me. As my engine sits, the only thing Ford designed is the block. Everything Ford designed and built had completely crapped out. I wasn't up for a big block... although it would have been a blast, too much engine bay reinvention for me. I wanted the sassiest little 289/302 I could get without pissing my wife off with the bills. I pushed it, but she still loves me. Name a part and I've gone better than what was designed as stock. Discs front and back, Granada, Jeep. Frame stiffening, brakes, wheels, fuel tank, Gauge cluster, suspension, steering... on and on with the upgrades. If I could pick up my body and slide an '07 Corvette soul under it, it would be done. I'm not capable. I thought original sucked. I don't morn for any of those original parts. There's really nothing wrong with the way my Carter carb is functioning. If you have this Megasquirt, the world is your dyno. You can adjust certainthings and see results in real time. It seems to me, a luxury.

I'm befuddled not bythe opinion of someone who likes the nostalgia of originality, but by the passion with which they hate the restomod movement. I was already aware of Glen's opinion; not particurly threatened by it. Many here tend to want to confront him. I'd just like to know WHY he and others have such energy behind that opinion. I think of all the homes in the US that were built before central air. Air conditioning is soooooooo cooooool! (pardon the pun). The upgrade to central air and an EFI upgrade are parallel in my mind, but not in everyone's mind. If any of you "originalators" would take the time to help me understand what specifically sparks such emotion regarding originality, there'd probably be a lot less confrontation here. Anyone care to give us the "why" behind these passionate opinions? A favorite memory? Treatened by change? Cause we should all like the same things the same way? What? I'd really like to know.

Quick Reply: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?