Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

More '72 Mach1 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Levitan

Default More '72 Mach1 Questions

I searched and researched before coming to you with questions. When it comes to doors and fenders, will Grande parts swap with Mach 1 parts? Will '71, '72, and '73 parts, ie fenders and doors, interchange? I got myself involved with a car(coughcough), '72Mach1,that needs some real help and I need to do it on the cheap. I need both fenders, passenger door and grill. I think I can handle the rest(at least until I come back and bug you guys again). Thank you very much in advance.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 PM
pinboy122
1st Gear Member

Default RE: More '72 Mach1 Questions

rip um off and bolt em on.a great way to answer q's like that is get a catalog,youll see the #s
Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

1971 and 72 front fenders, grille support, bumpers, etc... are all the same.

The hood is the same for all 3 years, so are the doors.

The fenders , grille and bumper for the 73 are unique to the 73. TheyWILL NOT fit the 71 and 72 years models.

The 72 Mach 1's used an rubber type ( enduraflex ) front bumper. They are a bit hard to find and some people opt to use a chrome bumper instead. I've got an extra enduraflex bumper for a 72 but shipping is ridiculously expensive.

Hope this helps, Dean
Old 09-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Levitan

Hey RSR,
Excellent! Thank you very much! One thing to just make sure. The parts from a Grande, Fastback, convertiblewill swap to the Mach? In other words, a '72 fender and door from a Grande will fit a '72 Mach 1, yes? And, if that is your ride, I can only dream, cuz it it ain't happnin' with this pile that I bought. Nice ride!! And thanks again.
Levitan
Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the props on my Mach 1.

You are correct that it makes no difference Mach 1 to Grande to Convertible. This is only true of the sheet metal from the doors forward. The only exception would be the deluxe interior door handles are different than the standard interior door handles.

I should have mentioned that the grille support structure, head light buckets etc ... are unique to the 73. BUT .... The 71-72 are the same both years as far as I know.

My screen name RSRXION is the same as my license plate. Resurrection is appropriate for this old girl. We brought her back from what most considered dead.

Good luck, Dean
Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Post some pics when you get time. Details on engine, trans etc ... too
Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Levitan

Dean,
Thank you very much! I can now see the light. I will get some pics but I'll tell you the scoop in the mean time. It's a basic H model that I purchased from a friend in Omaha, I'm in Des Moines. He got it from another friend of his who purchased it in, I think, '82, but let it sit the last few years. The351c has been rebuilt with a 4 barrel intake and Holley and has less than 1000 miles on it. It has
GT500(?)wheels, which I know nothing about, but are in great shape with new tires and a complete new brake job. Dual exhaust looks new.The rest is in real rough shape, but I think I can make it look pretty respectable on a limited budget. The fenders have been replaced but they are junk. The passenger door has been hit. Grill is broke. Ironically, not much rust in the floorboards or trunk. I know an old farmer outside of town here that does sandblasting. I figured I'd have him blast the undercarriage and the lower quarters all the way around the car. I can weld in new metal in the floors and then undercoat. I'll purchase replacement metal for the lower quarters. Interior is rough, dash has cracks, front seatsare torn and will need a headliner. Will cross the interior bridge when I get there. The gas tank was put in new 2 years ago but water leaked in somehow, so my friend said, but I think the gas may have been badly varnished. He removed the tank and almost threw it away, but luckily it was saved and I need to put it in the car tomorrow. My buddy said he had the car running by putting gas down the carb, a good sign. I told you all of that to say, it will never look like yours because I don't have the cash, but what I am going todo on a limited budget, I will do correctly and make a pretty cool lil' car. Now, off to find some fenders and a door. Thanks again RSR!!!!!!!
Levitan
Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 AM
73 Sportroof
2nd Gear Member

Levitan,
Hang in there and don't try to do everything at once. Get it safe and running first. It keeps you more motivated to work on it if you can drive it.
Mine is not a show car and never will be. I have owned mine for 13 years and it didn't run for 9 of them. I didn't work on it for 8 years because I couldn't drive it and money went to other things. One day a friend of mine was teasing me about never getting it going and I started on it again. I did the interior first because it was trashed and it was winter when I started. I put a new grille on it and louvers and it was starting to come together, but by spring it still wasn't running. It sat for 2 more years.
One day I decided I had too many cars to work on and traded a 71 Mustang coupe to my mechanic for my engine to be rebuilt. The car was worth more than just the rebuild so I started to add to the project. C6 tranny and 3.89:1 trac loc rear. I had him remove the old coil overload shocks and weld in where they had punched through the floor. New shocks and brakes on the rear. ( the front was done earlier)
Since I got it running in mid July I have put about 3000 miles on it and now that I drive it I know eveything else that I want to do to it.It all comes with time and money.
I am on a budget too, I would love to have my car look as good as RSRXIONs but I am happy with just being able to enjoy mine.

Good luck, and get us some pictures. The people on this forum are a big help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/70187/49F2024D8BF54132903DE66DA76FD612.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/70187/4431EA390AF24A1D98E313299002C117.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/70187/9E3BA800F60440F29EE2805B132239AC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Good to see more people getting into the best of the originals.

The only difference between the Mach/Grande/Conv/Coupe would be the grille and bumper. The Mach has a unique bumper, as mentioned, but also hasa unique grille standard (optional on others, but very rare).
Old 09-08-2007, 02:47 PM
bw71mach1
1st Gear Member

Just remember that the trunk lid and quarter panel extensions are different on a fastback vs a coupe or convertable.

Quick Reply: More '72 Mach1 Questions