Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1973 mach 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:01 PM
phenomenal_thunder
1st Gear Member

Default 1973 mach 1 question

I found a couple 73 mach 1's in my area in pretty good shape for around $11,000. Are the 73 machs not as powerful as previous mach 1's? I was reading that the 73's are not good cars at all. Could someone let me know the pros and cons of a 73 mach compared to previous years? Thanks everyone
Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1973 mach 1 question

The emissions controls started taking heavy effects prior to 73. All the big horsepower engines were de-tuned due to emissions and the gas crunch. 71-72 were the last of the higher compression performance engines. The 73's were not as powerful but they were comfortable and had the same basic looks as the 71-72 with slight changes. There are other differences that can be touched on as well.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
phenomenal_thunder
1st Gear Member

thanks for your help. If anyone else has some input that would be great as well. So is there good potential out of this car? Right now I have a 2003 Ford Lightning and am going to sell it as soon as i can find a buyer but I know I wont be able to get the kind of 1/4 mile times out of a car like this with out a lot of money but I just want some that will be fun and be able to beat most of the ricers out there on the road. Thanks guys
Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 AM
phenomenal_thunder
1st Gear Member

I guess no one knows much about 73 mach 1's
Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I know that they are a little bigger, and a little heavier than it's predecessors, but really, they can be made very fast and can handle well with the addition of some $$....

I like the look of these cars, and being born in 65, these cars were something me and all of my friends lusted after... de-tuned or not.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:42 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

The 73's are indeed a little bigger and a little heavier. They used a 1 inch longer rear bumper bracket on the rear to space the rear bumper ( the bumpers were the same from 71-73 )away from the body and meet DOT impact standards. They also used a different style enduraflex front bumper that was also a little bit heavier. Identically optioned 72 and 73 cars sitting side by side will weigh about 20 pounds different. This weight gain was entirely the result of the bumper issues.

The 73 fenders and fender extensions were different than the 71 and 72's. This was a result of the aforementioned front bumper redesign. The doors and hood were the same with no changes from 71-73. The deck lid was also the same. The rear quarters had a minor difference that is really more complex than it's worth discussing. If you have to replace a quarter, let me know and I'll be more thorough.

The interiors were virtually unchanged from 71-73. There were a few very minor details that are worthy of noting for a concours car if you're really a stckler for points. As a rule, you can't tell them apart.

73 Mach 1 details... There were a number of engine options available in 73. The most common was the H code 351 C 2v. The F code 302 2 barrel was also available and the biggest engine you could get was the Q code 351 C Cobra Jet with a 4 barrel. The 73 Mach 1's could be ordered with 351's in 2 barrel or 4 barrel form. They were both low compression open chamber heads. The 2 barrel made 154 horsepower at 4,000 rpm using an 8:1 compression ratio. The 4 barrel made 266 horsepower at 5400 rpm using an 8:1 ratio. The Mach 1's were also available with 302 and 351 W both in 2 barrel form. They are not very common at all.

Interestingly enough the Ram Air option was not available on the 4 barrel cars in 73. You could order Ram Air on a 351 C 2 barrelBUT the 4 barrel motorcraft carb would not pass emissions with the Ram Air system in place , so ...... Ford didn't offer it. That didn't stop many of us ( like me ) from adding the Ram Air pieces after we got our cars in hand.

Mach 1 features and options. Standard equipment on the 73 Mach 1 included tachometer and gauges, chrome seat back button trim , front and rear honeycomb , rear sway bar , body side tape stripes , power disc brakes , 55 amp alternator with the BIG pulley , heavy duty radiator , competition suspension , tinted back window , special valve springs , heavy duty 55 amp battery , 2.25 or 2.50 inch dual exhaust and other things I'm sure I've forgotten. Of course the usuallist of options were available including power steering, air conditioning , power windows , rear defrost , leather wrapped steering wheel, push down locking hood pins , flip open gas cap , am/fm/tape , tilt , intermittent wipers etc ... were also available. Even a vinyl half top was available on the Mach 1's if you can believe it. Ugly as a mud fence and often removed, they were available as a factory option.

The car you see in my sigs is a 73 mach 1 with the Q code 4 barrel , factory Hurst shifted 4 speed , 3.50 Trac-Loc rear , leather steering wheel , tilt wheel and ram air that I added.I also usedTHE original 14 inch aluminum wheels and BFG's all around. It's a65,000 actual mile car. We completed a nut and bolt rotisserie restoration on her about 18 months ago. I've got 30,000.00 invested in this car and even with a mild build on the engine ( yielding 11:1 compression and making about 380 horsepower ) I still would get my *** kicked by many of the modern production rockets. These cars weren'tvery fast in stock trim by todays standards. They ran good compared to what we had to work with in the 70's and 80's but they are pretty anemic when compared to your supercharged Lightning. If you're looking for a screamer, build yourself a fox body.

I'm sorry I haven't answered sooner and I hope this helps you out on your purchase. These big body cars are starting to come around and I actually prefer them to most earlier versions. They are big and comfortable, ride well, perform well and can get around a turn without a set of training wheels. If you like the car, buy it. If you are trying to make a profit by buying and selling these cars, you might call me at 479-263-3326 before you spend your hard earned coin. These cars have a number of problem areas that can really run up a bill when you repair them. Having owned more 71-73's than all other years combined... I can probably give you some tips.

Good luck, Dean

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/8A0F454B6620484CA4EED4ACCE1B28DC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/416C3B32B26B4B0FBA4390BF7691BA41.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/2911C8D6D39341EFAF6CBAF942F2E380.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The 72 and 73 were detuned from the previous years, and were no longer available with big blocks. The 351 HO is still fairly potent, and didn't receive quite as much detuning, but it still just a shadow of its former self (Boss 351).

Just upgrade the engine back to '71 specs and you'll have a decent performer that looks original. If you don't care about originality, the 385 series big block is a bolt in option.

The '71-'73 will ride better than the previous years, and handles better without major suspension upgrades (springs, anti-roll bars, and shocks will make these cars handle on rails). The increased wheelbase and widened stance make this possible.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 AM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Where'd he go ??????????????????????????
Old 09-30-2007, 09:24 AM
73 Sportroof
2nd Gear Member

The '73 ( like all classics ) will be as fast as your wallet will let it.

Mine isn't a Mach I, and it isn't the fastest thing on the road. It is a lot of fun, and I do have to watch my speed.

Most Mustangs were not very fast from the factory. 2 bbl carbs, 2.73 gears, single exhaust, smallV8sand 6 cylinders were standard.
They were made fast by their owners.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 AM
phenomenal_thunder
1st Gear Member

WOW, thanks for all that great info. I didn't expect to get that much detail. this really helps me out. I am not looking for something that will compete with a Lightning but something that will be fun to drive, because really when am I gonna need that much speed on the street. But sorry it took so long to reply I was without a computer most of the day. I was almost scared away from getting a 73 but with your help I will definatly look at the 73 i found. Thanks

Quick Reply: 1973 mach 1 question