Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Getting my car!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Getting my car!

Very entertaining and valid arguements.Go on60 minutes.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:17 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Waffles

For every Toyota you see on the road, 5 were built that didnt mean MINIMAL specifications. This doesn't mean your car was the best of 5. It means it was the LEAST WORST of 5. The ONLY ONE, out of 5, that barely met FEDERAL regulations.
Are you saying that Toyota has to build 5 cars just to get one that will barely meet federal regulations? Please cite your source. I'm interested to know how they can turn a profit having to scrap or export 80% of their vehicles assembled here because they are not up to snuff.

And the reason foreign cars are so much cheaper then American... because I can actually afford to live a decent lifestyle, unlike the manufacturers of their cars.
I don't know, from what I understand, those factory workers in Germany get pretty good pay and A LOT of paid vacation time. From what I've seen, it didn't exactly look like indentured servitude. Besides that, I don't know if anybody really perceives the foreign cars to be cheaper any more. I think that image has been superseded by that of quality and design.

And of course i don't applaud any american company for outsourcing ANY jobs to mexico, but the parts Ford builds in Mexico, same as Chrysler are minimal parts,
Like the Mexican Hemi powerplant in my Dodge or the transmission from Japan and Francefroma previous Jeeps that I had? I wouldn't call those minimal. According to the window stickers, my Dodge truck and Honda minivan are comprised of about the same percentage of domestic and foreign parts, the Honda being 1% higher.

Less than 3% of Ford's Employees are outside the country (aside, of course from Ford of Europe, etc).
Perhaps because we don't export as many cars around the world as others like Toyota? Besides, how is Ford of Europe any different than American Honda, Toyota, et al?

And to say US cars are still lacking compared to Foreign.... did you know Toyota and Honda BOTH had more recalls last year than FORD, GM, and CHRYSLER... COMBINED. They keep them quiet. How? They schedule you a free routine checkup and replace the part right under your nose without telling you it was ever defective.
Do you contend that they perform repairs without stating it on the invoice that you sign? FWIW, I've had recalls on both foreign and domestic cars and they were handled in identical manner. I received a notice in the mail, scheduled an appointment and got it fixed. I don't know about other manufacturers, but on Honda's Ownerlink website, it lists each recall in great detail forYOUR (based on your VIN)vehicle and if that recall was performed. That is HARDLY what I'd call "under your nose without telling you it was ever defective."

So instead of mailing a check to Japan every month, just walk right into a Government facility while youre over there losing your limbs, or whatever you said you'd be doing, and hand it to em in person. That way you don't have to buy an AMERICAN MADE stamp and envelope.
He already said that his car was European.

Seriously, I want to get on board with you and fundamentally agree with you that it would be great to buy American, but most of your reasons listed are at best, unsubstantiated, and at worst, FALSE.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I think its great you're in the military, just would expect to see that show in your support of our economy. But hey, you essentially live for free, get paid to do so, and have little to no expenses personally (dont know about your family) so I can see why it doesnt affect you.
Most of your statements have had a little bit of misinformation, some have just been completely wrong (see gothand's post). However, if you are implying that I make a live for free and dont earn it, then maybe you need to take your *** down to the recruiting station and see just how great it really is to make a free living. Then you could show everyone how much YOU SUPPORT America by doing something more than ******* people who dont buy a US branded, built in whatever country, auto.

Didnt think so.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
takeoutexodus
2nd Gear Member

uhhh .... How about we get back on topic? ...

btw, its a fun stick shift tranny ..

awsome to drive.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: takeoutexodus

uhhh .... How about we get back on topic? ...

btw, its a fun stick shift tranny ..

awsome to drive.

My bad [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Good car, even better with a manual. Congrats!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so instead of buying a 4runner, why dont you just cut a check every month, put it in the mail, and send it just to "JAPAN"

And fine if you don't want to compare quality between American made and European, why don't you compare quality of life between OUR workers and theirs.

Where do you work? Lets say you're a waiter at TGI Fridays. If I am a Ford employee, and so many people buy Toyotas, Hondas, etc, and my company suffers, they take away from me. Maybe my pay decreases. Maybe they take away my pension. Maybe they take away any bonuses or annuities.

Suddenly, MY quality of life changes.I can no longer afford to go out to eat with my family. Guess whose tips decrease? The servers at the restaurant. So guess whose QOL NOW decreases? YOURS. No matter what job you are in, what your CAREER is, you are affected. After a house, automobiles are the second biggest purchase most people ever make. So when you spend big bucks on a foreign vehicle, unless u work for a Foreign car company, it WILL affect you in the long run.

The less money my company makes, the less money I will make. Why? Because I have to keep my job. So I have to accept concessions. So I can't spend my money elsewhere. Where you are a Realtor, Restaurant Server, Boat manufacturer, computer repairman, whatever. If I don't have the money to pay for extra stuff, guess what? I won;t be buying it.

But no, go ahead and buy your 4runner. I totally see where you're coming from.

[sm=smiley21.gif]
Hmmm, Do you ever wonder why the US manufacturers are in such a bad position? Perhaps if they hadn't been so complacent over the years and actually designed and built quality cars, there wouldn't be a market for the imports?
Of course you dont want to hear that your precious lifetime health benifits have also caused substantial economic stress to your employer do you? (not that any other industries get benifits like that)
And for the 8 year old girl sewing seats in china for a dollar a day to give to her parents so they can just eat. - What was it you said? You would rather be able to out to eat with your family, or you might lose you bonuses?Poor you.
What about me? I work for Ford same as you, but not in the US, and our cars can't even get imported to the US, becuase of the UAW restrictions. No problems with bringing yours here though. Unfortunately, we don't want them, and instead sell the Focus, Modeo, and fiesta. (all euro cars)
Its not your fault that your cars are not compeditive, but the competition from the imports are forcing your bosses and desigers to step up to the plate. At the end of the day that will ensure the long term viability of Ford, GM, and Chrysler. Its your mentality that been slowly killing the big three for the past 10 years.
But as long as you get your bonus, it all ok. Right?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

FWIW i dont get a bonus, I am UAW and FIGHTING to keep my job. But hey as long as you THINK you know about my job, its all ok, right?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

What does it matter if it is an import? [>:]
U should see our driveway and garage.

Driveway vehicles: my mustang and a 94 4Runner.
Garage vehicles: 64 GMC Pickup and a 07 Honda Odessey.

We are both import and american made. Both are good so it doesnt really matter what it is just as long as they like it. So quit saying ricer this ricer that. American this American that. They are even ok neither 1 is better than the other.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Fine, whether or not one is better than the other is in the eye of the beholder... all im asking s that an AMERICAN supports the AMERICAN economy.

Forget it. Go buy whatever you want, and when we're ALL out of jobs, I hope you remember reading this.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:11 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

FWIW i dont get a bonus, I am UAW and FIGHTING to keep my job. But hey as long as you THINK you know about my job, its all ok, right?
Given that I work for the same company as you, I do THINK I know about your job. Amazing isn't it?
Care to address any of the points I made?

Quick Reply: Getting my car!