Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

aftermarket cleveland block?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 PM
SmallBlockFloyd
3rd Gear Member

Default aftermarket cleveland block?

Ok, is there an aftermarket cleveland block yet? I have a 71 sports roof with the late model aparel package, (nasa ram air hood, front/rear spoilers, mach 1 graphics, cream vinyl, grabber yellow, mag 500 rims, hd susp/clutch), that I am restoring. I've had it, since i was 14(5 years now), and have been tinkering with it, but when gas went up, i parked it.

I want to have a hopped up engine for it, but, I don't want to use the matching # block, due to the rarity.

I remember once that there was a group in australlia, casting a few prototype aluminum cleveland blocks, but i never heard much more about it.(plus they were like 4500 dollars, and another 400 or so to get shipped)

So, I figured i'd ask here. I wasn't having any luck. I've been told to try asking dove, as they are known to do some more 'custom order' type castings. I would prefer cast iron, due to cost, but right now i am just shopping about.

The idea behind this is, to rebuild my stock cleveland, and have it for if i ever want to show the car, or sell it. The aftermarket engine could be pulled and put in something else, or sold itself.

Thanks for looking, and any and all help. Smallblock.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Default RE: aftermarket cleveland block?

Dart might make one, but they're all around 5k. Thats the going price for most alum. blocks. You might look into swapping a 351w in and build that. Alot more parts around and it'll be cheaper than 351c parts.
Or just find another 351c block and do that. Chi heads and edelbrock make alum. heads for it too.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:55 PM
boss_dude_429
3rd Gear Member

hey cleveland parts aren't hard to find, motorstate.com should have a cataloge with the kind of application your looking for just order the one you want, o and you have to call them to get it,i know that it's annoying but the catalogue is SO much better that summit and it's just for enigens
Old 10-13-2007, 09:57 PM
SmallBlockFloyd
3rd Gear Member

The only good windsor block was the 289. I have like eight 351 windsors, and I am looking for something better than using them to crush old beer cans with. I hate the windsor block, it was by far inferior to the cleveland.

5k on a cast iron block is insane. I can't believe no company has gotten off their backside yet, for the cleveland block -_-. I really do not support using lower production stock blocks for performance building, due to the rarity, and the fact that people do want to use them for restoring their cars. If it is going to be that way, I will just get a bit softer front spring setup, and drop a 289 in there and be done.

Windsor block... *runs for the trashcan* Pardon my vomit...

Thanks anyways, Smallblock.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:31 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

http://www.network54.com/Forum/11941...posits+anyone-
Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 AM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

The price of an aftermarket block and the build of another engine will never be a good investment compared to what you will get out of your car in the future. Just drive it the way it is now and dont blow it up or get a running 351c out of something else.

PS..This is dumb---

ORIGINAL: SmallBlockFloyd

The only good windsor block was the 289. I have like eight 351 windsors, and I am looking for something better than using them to crush old beer cans with. I hate the windsor block, it was by far inferior to the cleveland.

Windsor block... *runs for the trashcan* Pardon my vomit...
If the 351 was junk, in your opinion, then the 289 would be complete garbage.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:23 PM
SmallBlockFloyd
3rd Gear Member

Uhm, I take it you've never driven a hipo 289 then? A hipo 289 > 4v 351 windsor any day. The 351 may have bigger numbers, but, it also has a lot more weight. It was not a good engine. When you compair them power:weight ratio's, the 289 is always better.

Ok, so with a lot of money, and a power adder you can see the windsor dig into the 600+ numbers. Is it still streetable, on 87 octane? How much did you invest? A stock hipo 289, to any carbed windsor 4v, and the 289 is the better choice. The windsor is junk, until you get new heads and a power adder. I don't feel like dropping 6k into making a windsor quick.

I can put a new cam carb and intake on a hipo 289, and be in roughly 1200 dollars, and make more bang for the buck.

Then, we get into the subject of weight distribution. I am talking about the dinosaur. It's already the largest mustang ever, so arguably I would lean much more towards a 289, for better balance and handling. I hate the 302, it's an ok engine, but it is the most built thing in performance ford vehicles.

I support diversity, for the sake of stepping outside of following someones recipe to a decent build. if I were interested in cubes, I would put a 427 in that engine bay, because it will fit with no problem, and be done. I am not into drag racing, and have no desire to what so ever to put a big cube engine in the bay.

Furthermore, I would like everyone to give you a standing ovation, due to the fact I said I was looking to see if anyone had heard anything about an aftermarket cleveland block finally being finished, and I elaborated on what I had heard. I then said I wanted an aftermarket block to build up, and then i could rebuild to stock specs, my #'s matching block so i could drop it in, if I ever sold the car (as a #'s matching car)

This entire post is soley opinion, and in no way shape or form reflects proven fact, just mere observation in ownership of both engines.

Thanks dodgestang, useful thread, and I apologize to anyone whom may have viewed me as a flaming poster. I had not intended to come on this subform and start throwing big posts of hate, but, I feel that not reading the entire original post makes it pointless to post afterwords.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Well, without getting into a debate, yes, the 289 is a very good engine, and yeah, stock heads on a 351 suck(I think ALL stock heads suck for performance, but that's just me ), they're not AS bad on a 289 because the shorter stroke doesn't need a larger head. But a well built 351 will tear up a well built 289 just about every time, and each can be built for the same amount of money.

As far as aftermarket Cleveland blocks, you guys need to go to Ford Racing's site, they sell like 3 or 4 different variants of the 9.2" deck height 351 at least, some for under $2,000
Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM
SmallBlockFloyd
3rd Gear Member

Well built is what in your eyes? And, are we talking about on the street, or on the strip? A 'well built' engine can be having a good rebuild, with some porting on the heads, a new cam, new ignition system, new intake and carb.

Or, you could be meaning a splayed 4bolt main racing block from ford/dart/world, poked and stroked, with a blower huffin 12psi down the throat of that 8k rpm small block.

To me, well built is just that, a well built low budget street engine. Stock rod length, stock crank, maybe a a lighter fly wheel to rev up quick, but definitely cam, carb, intake, and ignition(dizzy, coil, ignition box maybe, good plugs and wires). Maybe some porting, and a good set of pipes.

I've had a stock 289 hipo hand it to 302/351's without much sweat. And, that really does say quite a bit, considering the 289 is 62 cubes shy of the 351, definitely less torque, and I had it in my 62 F-100 custom, with a c4, 15in. rims, and 3.02 gears, no posi. That old pickup was fairly heavy.

It is easily argued, with avid fans on both ends of the spectrum. Anyone who thinks they know anything instantly brings up the 'no replacement for displacement' mantra of the 60's. Anyone who has dabbled in both ends of it, will tell you that it isn't the cubes, it's how it's built.

Yeah, you can have a 429-scj with one hell of a cam, a nice aluminum intake, with twin four barrels sitting on top of it, and eat up a lot of cars. It isn't saying much when about 90% of them have more than 100 cubes less than you, really.

I apologize if any of my views offend anyone, and I would like to thank those of you who provided helpful info.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 PM
dgulian
1st Gear Member

If you were not so far away I would sell you the 74 cleveland I just pulled. Stock bore. no ring ridge and no sludge. Heads look good too. But i am near bay city michigan

Quick Reply: aftermarket cleveland block?