Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rear end assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default rear end assembly question

Well,I just got finished putting my new 3rd member in my rear end - getting it apart was pretty easy and it is out of the car on jack stands. My question is how hard it is to replace the bearings and what holds the axle in place? I thought there would have been retaining pins but there was nothing when I looked at the 3rd member and a few good shots with the sledge and the axle came right out. The amazing thing is that I got the used rear end from a 65 mustang that had been in a junkyard in Phoenix- got it use for $250 and all the oil that came out was actually clean - go figure.

Are the bearings flared to keep the axle in the rear end? I bought all new bearings - how hard is it to put them in? Any other feedback on putting the axles back in would be appreciated, thanks. Here is a pic of my new traction loc

[IMG]local://upfiles/34309/94A85DF21F0D466ABE50CD776F153208.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/34309/C2C8AC95FDE9460E9C34EE7395C7711D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/34309/22398B93A9084B8ABCFCC1A187802EDF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: rear end assembly question

If you're talking about the axle bearings, they're pressed on. You need to have a shop with a press remove and replace them. Sometimes they can be a pain in the *** if the bearing breaks and the inner race doesn't come off with the rest of the bearing. This means you have to go at it with a cutting wheel and then a chisel. Not fun.

If you're talking about the carrier and pinionbearings...this is something that needs to be done by a professional. You have to set the pinion depth and gear lash perfectly. This requires some special tools and knowhow and shouldn't be attempted unless you've got someone who's done it to watch over your shoulder and help. The better idea would be to have a shop do it for you.

The axles are held in by the retaining plates you would've had to remove from the ends of the housing.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Thanks starfury, I am referring to the bearings on the end of the axle and wouldn't touch the carrier (just to ignorant on this bit to even give it a try).

I work for a company where we own several heavy EQ construction companies - thinking I am going to clean up the axles and take it to the guys in the shop to see if they can handle. Otherwise, we are off the mechanic.

For the life of me, I still can't see how the bearings are held in place - are they flared so that there is no way they can slide outward (flared larger on the outside than the inside?).

I have done everything on this car except put in a new frame rail and square the car - my son and I have torn it down to the shell and wanted to do everything ourselves - but I have never been in the realm of things before and this is definitely mission critical and I don't want to screw it up when we are this close
Old 10-28-2007, 10:34 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Check out this link...

http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/bearings/rearbear.html

Old 10-28-2007, 11:25 PM
JamesW

The bearing fits into the end of the axle housing snugly, then then end cap is bolted on. This keeps it from coming out.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:36 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

any local machine shop will remove and replace your axle bearings for a minimal labor fee. Plan on spending around $50-60 total for a new set of bearings and seals, if you buy them. Be very careful pulling the axle seal and putting in the new seals. A crappy job removing the seal can result in scaring or scratching the tube face,making it difficult to get a good seal around the axle, seal, and axle tube. Harbor freight has reasonable tools: seal puller and seal press for just a few dollars. piece a cake.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Aseal puller is handy for removal, but I used a small hammer for the install Just gotta do it carefully
Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD
Check out this link...
http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/bearings/rearbear.html
I took the time to read this, very good article...
Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Anyone got any tips to remove the axle from the housing? I have brakes off and axle retainer loose, but the axle will not budge. I assume I need a puller, unless any of the experts here have a better way .......
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

The bearing is probably just stuck in the housing....... hopefully a few sharp blows with a hammer will do the trick...

Might try spraying some penetrating oil in the bearing housing as well....

Quick Reply: rear end assembly question