Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ignition Timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:27 PM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

Default Ignition Timing

I got a timing gun from my neighbor, but without any instructions. I've never done this before, and my mustang needs it desparatley. I've looked in the FAQ's for "how to time ignition", but nothing. I also can't search the forum right now, so I don't know if it's already been asked. I've searched google, but couldn't find anything really detailed enough to help me.

Does anybody know of a web site that gives very detailed instructions on timing the ignition? The step by step type, with lots of pictures. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Ignition Timing

Use white out to mark the timing marks on the balancer to where you want initial/total timing(provided they're accurate). And run the engine and use the timing light to time it to those marks(either set it at idle, or at full advance, or both).
Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yup. at an idle with the vacuum hose disconnected from the distributor you set the baseline. make sure you plus the vacuum hose or you'll have a leak and it will either idle high, surge and not want to run right, or both.

8-12 degrees is a happy place, it'll run better @ 12 so as long as it doesnt ping under acceleration i'd go for that number.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:21 AM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I've read a bunch of recommendations for setting for the timing, but no real good directions. I guess I'm just going to have to get out there and play around a little bit.

Anybody have a good instructions web site?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Try this. And learn to Google.

Ignition Timing.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:50 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

we're my directions simple enough?[&:]
Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 AM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

I've found a number of sites now that have been very helpful. So, let me ask you this...

I warm up my engine, and turn it off. Are my pulleys going to stop everything right in the correct spot so I can put a mark on my balancer in the right spot? Or do I need to rotate my engine at all? How do I know that my mark is going to give me accurate readings?

Also, doesn't my balancer have a needle rather than degrees? I've got a standard 302 like this picture:

Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

I warm up my engine, and turn it off. Are my pulleys going to stop everything right in the correct spot so I can put a mark on my balancer in the right spot? Or do I need to rotate my engine at all? How do I know that my mark is going to give me accurate readings?
You have a one in 360 chance the engine will stop where you want it. Yes, you'll have to rotate the engine to where you want it. The only way to determine your marks on your balancer for accuracy is to put the engine's #1 piston at top dead center, ie, the #1 piston will be at the top of its stroke with both valves closed. On a completely assembled engine, you can determine this by removing the spark plug and putting your thumb over the hole while someone rotates the engine by hand. You'll feel/hear the air escaping around your thumb. With the piston at exactly top dead center, you should have something on your front cover pointing to '0'. There are more exact ways to get the piston at tdc, and you may have to do that, but this way will get you close.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

The balancer should have a line cut into it. Pull the coil wire and turn the engine over in little steps until you find/see the grooved line. It may be hard to find but it should be there. It doesn't have to be in any set spot, all you are trying to do is get the line in a position that allows you to highlight it. This makes it more visible when you use the timing light.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 AM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

So, if I understand this all right... I could guess where dead center is by attempting to find out when cylinder #1 is at the top of it's stroke (by unplugging the spark plug, etc as gjz30075 said), or find the mark on the balancer and take out the guess work. If I find this mark, mark it in white for easy visibility, and it "should" align with my needle, as pictured above. If it doesn't align (which is probably won't), then I go through the timing process by adjusting the distributor... etc...

Correct?

Oxnard... you said I would need to pull the coil wire before I turn the engine, could you explain why exactly? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ignition Timing