Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Granada swap....progress so far

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 AM
68SCode4speed
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Granada swap....progress so far

ORIGINAL: ideal_mustangs

I've got 14" magnums on mine with the Granada swap and they worked. They're original magnums though, not repos which may be why they worked. Also, let me know how your's goes, mine still does not stop very well at all.
R U sure the lines are well purged?? I used the disc brake swap from CSRP with all new parts - no running around looking for nitnoid misc parts and got it done in a weekend. Got the MustangForums discount too. My wife's '65 fb Mustang stops on a dime (Granada disc up front and stock drums in back).
Old 11-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Granada swap....progress so far...IT's DONE!!

Well for better or worse....the job is done. Got the new master cylinder bench bled saturday and install that afternoon. Had a bit*h of a time getting the MC mounted on the firewall...the bolts were too short...then I cross-threaded one of the anchor nuts....had to run to Lowe's for a couple of longer bolts and a 3/8-16 tap and get it fixed. Finally about 6 PM we got everything mounted and hooked up. About this time it was drizzling and I wasnt feeling to good, so we called it a night and start up again sunday morning. Sunday morning dawned rainy and cold. But all we needed to do was bleed the whole system.....so it was under the car with the son pumping the brake pedal. Not too bad, only took bout an hour to get all the air out and its time to remount the wheels and see what happens. First engine start-up and man did it sound bad....forgot to putthe plug in the manifold where we removed the vacumn line for the old removed booster.Back to Autozone again....plugs in and starts fine without that sucking sound.HOT DAMN!!! This thing stops on a dime now!! No pulling either way, the brakes feel solid and dont go down too much. The pedal stops about 2 inches above the floorboard. The only problem we have is the alignment.....toe-in really sux, pulls to the left. The alignment will happen later in the week, once the son gets his next paycheck. But for now, at least its dirivable so he can take it to school. I'm glad this job is done. The next little project will be new rear gears during the Christmas school break.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:00 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Sounds like everyone eles's stops great. I've bled mine so many times I couldn't even count them. A couple of weeks ago I even went and bought a new master cylinder thinking my rebuilt on could be bad. That didn't help either. The old drums also felt spongy and never could get it out of them either is one reason why I swapped to disc's.

It's really frustrating, especially since my other two 1970 F100's will stop on a dime with their drums all around.

BTW, I still have a manual setup. I didn't go to power.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Hey Ideal.....do you have a proportioning valve or a combo valve. If you have the combo valve, the shuttle valvemay have shifted and one side of your brakes may not be working to thier fullest. Try pressing on the brake pedal and opening the right rear bleeder, re-applying the pedal and the n open the right front bleeder. This will usually reset the shuttle valve to the center position.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ideal_mustangs

Sounds like everyone eles's stops great. I've bled mine so many times I couldn't even count them. A couple of weeks ago I even went and bought a new master cylinder thinking my rebuilt on could be bad. That didn't help either. The old drums also felt spongy and never could get it out of them either is one reason why I swapped to disc's.

It's really frustrating, especially since my other two 1970 F100's will stop on a dime with their drums all around.

BTW, I still have a manual setup. I didn't go to power.
Go to http://www.discbrakeswap.com/The_Gra...9.3006.v01.pdfand check out the picture on page 10 showing proper caliper mounting. You may have the calipers mounted on the wrong sides. This would cause air to be trapped at the top of the calipers and result ina spongy pedal.