Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Granada swap....progress so far

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Default Granada swap....progress so far

With bad weather forecast for the weekend, I decided to take half a day at work and get started on the swap out. The right side went pretty good, I had the old drum and spindle off in about an hour and started on installing the new disc spindle. The real pain was getting the old ball jount to come loose, it wouldnt come off for anything. Ended up having to use a pickle fork, but at least it came off. I had the new one on in about another hour....going pretty good for far, until I mounted the wheel to find out if I would have to modify the caliper or bracket.It wouldn't fit and modded the parts needed. (Will be looking for some 15 inch wheels wehn to go to San Antonio on firday). Started hooking the new tie rod up and found out that the adjusting sleeve was too long and I couldnt get the disc to point straight ahead. So now I had to break out the cut-off tooling and "adjust the adjuster" by cuttingabout 3/16 inch off either end...works pretty good now. By now I had gotten all of the right side done except for cotter pins.....time to move to the left side. Got all the old junk off and the new spindle on with no problems. Started installing the disc.....and oh crap Batman.....this disc is the wrong style. Dont know what it came off of but it weren't no Granada. After a trip to the parts store to find out they didnt have a nother one, but finding that another store only 50 miles away did...it was a nice drive at break neck speed to get it. By now I had put in about 6-7 hours working on this and decided to call it a night. Wednesday morning bright and early I was at it again and with the new disc in hand....(actually 2 hands, these things are heavy), I had it installed in about 45 minutes. The remainder of the day was spend in running from every parts house in town looking for the fittings and hard lines that are needed to complete the swap. In all its taken about16 hours so far and still have to bleed the master cylinder, install it, finish the hook-ups,and bleed the entire system. This will be done tomorrow before the turkey is cooked and devoured. This is not a job for the faint of heart...its not a particularly hard job, but it does take a bit of perserverance and a bit of luck when looking for the parts. More to come when and if I get it completely done.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Fastbackin1970

Default RE: Granada swap....progress so far

Sorry about the 47 V-Tail
Old 11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Nothing ever works smoothly, huh?

And yes, they are heavy as hell. My assemblies were 55lbs a side..
Old 11-22-2007, 09:47 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

did youbuy the parts or use a kit?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:33 PM
JamesW

Yep... I ended up buying a set of 15" Magnum 500s to clear the brakes.

$600 new for 4 at places like Texas Mustang Parts
Old 11-23-2007, 06:45 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bradleyb

did youbuy the parts or use a kit?
I already had the Granada setup on my car but it was horrible looking and needed new pads anyways. I used the spindles, caliper brackets and bolts, and the bearings (still good), and bought new calipers, pads, rotors, etc etc...
Old 11-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

I used parts both new and used parts. Some from Autozone....Advance........Carquest.........O'Reil leys........and Ebay. Cost so far is about $390.00. We went to San Antonio today (friday) and I stopped at Pick-n-Pull and picked up a pair of standard steel 15" wheels from an LTD, they fit perfectly. While I was under the LTD, I did seewhat looked like a good set of spindles, discs and calipers that might work for this swap as well. Also finally got all the adapters for the combo valve and weather permitting will get the brakes completely done in the next 2 days.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 PM
JamesW

I think the LTD spindles are too large for Mustangs.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:21 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

I've got 14" magnums on mine with the Granada swap and they worked. They're original magnums though, not repos which may be why they worked. Also, let me know how your's goes, mine still does not stop very well at all.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 AM
rpmcarter
1st Gear Member

Wow this story sounds like when me and a friend started piecing together an old Chebbie....parts store run was going on all week......seems we would plan and always something was different. But that is part of the fun and makes a good story when she's done.

Quick Reply: Granada swap....progress so far