Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine Cleaning For a 67 with a 289

Old 11-23-2007, 11:08 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine Cleaning For a 67 with a 289

Im looking to clean and detail my 67's engine. I recently painted the bay so I just want to make sure things are done right. The engine is a bit dirty with some grease on some plugs and wires. Where do I start and what should I use. I do have the chrome shelby brace and polished valve covers. Can I get chemicles in the bay walls? The walls were painted about 4 months ago semi gloss black. The engine is not crate engine so it does have some miles and some grime on it.

I dont want to create more work then I have ti for my self thats why im asking you the experts!

Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Cleaning For a 67 with a 289

Use an engine degreaser or brake cleaner and try to cover the bay as best you can with old towels. Anything strong enough to break down the grime will stain the "fresh" paint. You can do it nice if you're careful. Let the cleaner sit for a while then spray it off with a garden hose. Don't let the cleaner stay on the paint (in the bay or on the fenders) spray it off quickly. If any dirt remains spot clean as needed.
Spray the cleaner carefully to minimize over spray, keep the hose moving, and don't spray directly into any electrical components.
I've done this many times with no problems.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:14 AM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

im doing the exact same thing...lol...heres what ive done

i pulled out the radiator, the fan and the shroud. took off the alternator and brackets, the power steering pump and pipes and brackets. that gave me a lot more room to move around in..so to speak..take the spark plug cables out but make a map of it to see where it goes back into the distributor cap..take out the ignition coil, take out the relay and the battery and the battery rack..i wouldnt take off the carbee..just no need..mine is in good shape so ive just masked it really well....i wanted to take off the valve covers but i dont have any new gaskets so that will ahve to wait...

ive grinded it down to metal...some paint remover will help...chuck some primer on to make sure it gets a good grip..but to begin with i would suggest u get a good de greaser..leave it on for 15 mins and then take a pressure washer to it...to paint the sump ull hve to jack the cars up and then work it from there...be prepared for some grime to fall down so i would suggest some eye goggles..lol...just dont open your mouth..its not pretty..haha..i speak from experience!!! while your at it..check the fuel lines especially from the carbee to the filter..that usually takes a hammering...radiator hoses and them..its a pity to have a nice clean engine only to realize a month down the road u have a busted hose somwhere...

once everything is off...clean the brackets and the other stuff...paint the pulleys etc and put it back together again....for the bolts and nuts you remove, soak them in kerosene oil overnight and then take a fine grain sandpaper to them, number 2 is usually fine...dont go to keen on them or you could scratch them...usually i use water and sandpaper and that helps with the scratches!!

when your bolting stuff back you want to be careful as to not scratch your fresh paint!!!! once everything is back in place and your bolts are tightened, take a fine detailing brush and paint their heads, its a lot neater than actually painting chipped bolts....

i wouldnt worry too much about the paint on the wires, that comes off easily using some thinner and kerosene oil...once everything is done, give it a nice clean wash with water and stand back (and light a ciggee if you smoke :P) and enjoy your hard work!

ill post pictures of my engine once its done!!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 PM
rpmcarter
1st Gear Member

you would be surprised what gojo will do for cleaning an engine WITHOUT hurting the wires etc.