Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Recommended Motor Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Matt.69Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Recommended Motor Oil?

Ok, so I'm going to change the oil on my Mustang and I want to know what everyone recommends. I won't be using Synthetic at this time until the motor is redone. I was looking into the high mileage motor oil, but is it worth it or is regular 5w-30 good enough?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:45 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Recommended Motor Oil?

well, i was talkin to my machine shop guy, and he recomends using a conventional racing oil, his reasoning was that modern oils lack certain addatives that older cars with non-roller cams need

i believe he said that the oil needed to have a zinc addative, but most oils dont due to the fact that when the zinc is burned it will clog up the cats on newer model cars

Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

pennzoil 10w40 has always done me good, but shell rotella 15w40 has the zinc our flat tappet cams love (really only matters during break in of a flat tappet cam)
Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 PM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

I agree. I use the Rotella as my engine is new. Really as long as it is changed often any oil is ok. Mostly personal preference.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

how about adding in that royal purple stuff. anyone ever used that? i hear it increases hp gasmilage and has alot of benifits. sounds like good stuff.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Royal Purple, like Amsoil, is a synthetic oil. They will decrease friction in the engine, which does help efficiency. If you can see the difference on a dyno, the oil you started with is total crap and is even worse than anything you can buy at Wal-Mart (or is much heavier than necessary).

For the OP: Just go to Wal-Mart and pick out some Valvoline, Havoline, Mobil, Motorcraft, whatever fits the "low" amount of money you want to spend. While they are all decent oils, they will insure you have to rebuild the engine sooner rather than later.

If the engine isn't using/leaking oil, switch to a full synthetic. They are cheaper in the long run, and will extend the life of even an older engine to the point that you may not need the rebuild as soon as you may be thinking.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:49 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i gotta admit my last oil change in my town car i switched from pennzoil to motorcraft. why? cause its .50 cheaper a quart and its semi-synthetic instead of regular dino oil. seems like a great buy.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:15 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

i have always heard to only use royal purple for racing,that it is not intended for daily use. It will evap. much quicker is one of the reasons. This is what i have heard.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You heard wrong. Synthetic oils (Amsoil, Royal Purple, et al)will not burn off nearly as quickly as conventional oils.
ORIGINAL: snorulz

i have always heard to only use royal purple for racing,that it is not intended for daily use. It will evap. much quicker is one of the reasons. This is what i have heard.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:15 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

not to thread jack but what weight should be ran in an early 351 w 10w30 - 10w40 5w30 ect?

Quick Reply: Recommended Motor Oil?