Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Modern Stereo in a 65-66

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Modern Stereo in a 65-66

Looks good project 65 clean and nice its yours cut it hack it do what ever you want to your car.
Not for sure on what im going to do with mine my MSD box is in the glove compartment.
Im smoothing out my dash where the radio and heater controls were anyway.
Only thing I think I will have visible may be a xm receiver and a ipod.
One thing comes to my mind Foose said on tv once and it stuck with me.
Nothing Dates a cars rebirth or timeline faster than a radio. They change within 2 years drastically and look very outdated fast.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:19 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Starfury

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

soaring, is that you???
Nope, sorry
this is tad http://www.myspace.com/starfuryth
Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmanf

Nothing Dates a cars rebirth or timeline faster than a radio. They change within 2 years drastically and look very outdated fast.
If you go with a DIN size radio you could also upgrade it with another DIN radio every couple years if you want.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Yeah im to cheap for that every 2 years. lol
I think in a box in the shop is my old Blaupunt spelling? and Pioneer Supertuner from 1984.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Riverside66
1st Gear Member

I recently installed my Sony in the glove box. I just happened to have a few new glove boxes that I used as a "face-plate" for the radio. I tripled up the cardboard which is very rigid when glued together. I still wanted to be able to use the glove box so I positioned the radio all the way to the left and cut another glove box to clear the radio- also the radio needs decent ventilation so it gets plenty of it by cutting away a portion of the "permanent" glove box. I added some soft foam blocks to the underside of the radio for support, cut a small hole for the antenna cable, installed my hazard light switch and was ready to roll. The registration and insurance papers fit on the clip and there's still a little room for the driver's booklet.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...6/DSC07513.jpg

I love the look of the original radio in the dash. The light in the radio matches the lights for the gauges.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...6/DSC07514.jpg

Sorry about the links, I couldn't get the images embedded.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

I have the original in the dash but it's not connected. I have the Secret Audio in the glovebox and love it. I added the 10-CD disc changer in the trunk, though would not allow them to drill to install it.

Since my Mustang is stock, I wanted the look of the original radio. Oddly enough, my Firebird isn't stock yet I still wanted an original radio, probably because the PO put in some horrible aftermarket cheapie stereo I could not wait to yank out.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:06 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ive also got an original radio Soaring gave it to me, even paid the postage. id been looking all over for one so i could fill the space without spending to much money or i was just gonna buy the delete plates so he hooked me up with his old one.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:24 AM
boss_dude_429
3rd Gear Member

yea i know how it is, we had the original am radio in the bronco and i just found my dad's old 8-track and a box full of em in the closet, talk about funny
Old 12-02-2007, 12:00 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

With all the aftermarket options that provide modern sound quality and a classic look, I don't think there is any reason why someone should have to hack their dash.

I've got a Kenwood KRC 3006, which hasAM/FM/Tape/CD Controls in the factory location. The 6 disk changer sits in the glove box just like the first pic up there James posted and the sub & amp in the trunk is pretty well hidden as well. It sounds as good as the Shaker 1000 system in my 2005GT...And none of it required a hack saw.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:41 PM
alz
1st Gear Member

I kept the factory AM radio in the dash connected to the in-dash speaker and mounted a Pioneer stereo in the glove compartment connected to speakers in the rear quarter trim panels. My 67 is pretty stock and I didn't want an aftermarket digital stereo staring at me in the middle of the dash. Best of both worlds.

Al

Quick Reply: Modern Stereo in a 65-66