Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Unisteer rack and pinion installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Unisteer rack and pinion installation

ORIGINAL: scuf23

well their instructions say that the linking shaft is supposed to be too long and need to be cut ... just checked and it is barely long enough! at least as I am setting this thing up
Exactly!! both Mr classic EFI and my self had the same problem of slight binding. Problem was solved by pushing the column further in to the cab and getting a longer shaft from Unisteer.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Update ... got my equalizer modified twice and still does not fit ... kind of difficult to get exact dimensions and shape down there! [&:]

Will get it modified again tomorrow ... maybe third time a charm ... keep your fingers crossed for me ... will post pictures of the final equalizer bar ... will look ugly I bet
Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Now this is starting to really **** me off the more I think about it and the more I read about all these ****sandwiches that you guys were/are eatinginstalling these setups.

Just an asteriknote in the ad would have been nice, a little heads-up note saying that if you have a Z-bar setup that you will encounter significant installation issues, or something to thateffect.

Same thing with my having to purchase JBA headers to clear my flaming river setup. Well, I didn'thave to, but after going through 4 sets of shorty headers trying to find a pair that cleared I just gave in to the man. I kinda felt like a sucker when they told me that they only work with JBA headers when the ad said "Will work with headers". If they didn't sound so damned good I'd probably still be pissed. The need for that extra 5 or 600 bucks for the JBA shortys to complete the project went over like a fart in church with the wife.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:20 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

I am with you - just trying to not let frustration take the best of me now! just got my part, tried again and it barely .... does not work out! tomorrow morning will get it modified a little bit more but I think tomorrow afternoon I will be able to finally finish the install !!!!

Some pictures of my equalizer bar as of right now ...

[IMG]local://upfiles/62696/F7C14DDB32FF4B44B8EDB8A2E31F06B8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/62696/60F8FC20DD6E425C8F51FCEC5A93E9C1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-13-2007, 08:05 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

You know something scuf, if you figure out the magic and the secret to fire as far as that altered equalizer bar goes you might just have you a nifty little Ebay niche business there....

hmmm. Just a thought.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:23 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

That idea crossed my mind ... or maybe could try to sell a patent to unisteer and other R+P manufacturers that do not care about the people with manual transmissions ....

The guy I talked to at Unisteer told me that they are coming with a new power system that "should" work better for manual transmissions .... cant wait to see that

Hopefully an update tomorrow with some tears of joy
Old 12-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-16-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:20 AM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Looking good ! the unisteer R+P is different and the shaft really comes right in the middle of the equalizer wheras yours is much more on the side ... I will hopefully have some pictures from my final set up today
Old 12-16-2007, 07:50 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

OK it's in clutch is working just fine!!...........

But it is kind of tough to turn and the steering column is sticking out in the engine compartment more than what they say in the instruction manual ... I mean I can drive the car but it is just not as smooth as I expected ... I think the shaft in between the 2 u-joints is in-deed too short!!! I am going to call them tomorrow to get another one overnighted to me ... what a pain in the a.. [:@]
Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-16-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Unisteer rack and pinion installation