Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Strut Tower Brace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:41 PM
JamesW

Default RE: Strut Tower Brace?

I hope you have better luck with that LMM brace than I did. I bought that exact same one and tried to use it. It wouldn't fit down on my shock towers & cowl evenly (like my original export brace did), and the cross bar was directly over the distributor, actually touching the wires. It would have made any distributor work impossible. I ended up selling to MustangSteve who cut the Monte Carlo section off and using on his daughter's efi swap.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Mustang629

Thanks for posting the photo. Yes, I did have troubles installing the shock tower brace; nothing a rubber malet couldn't solve

I just received my headers (Flowtech long tube) in yesterday...yeah! Now I have to remove the STB...nooo

Am I going to run into any problems when installing my headers? Any special tricks I should know? Will I need a cherry picker to hoist up the drivers side of the motor?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 05:34 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

The hammer is one of the most important tools for working on a mustang!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:59 PM
JamesW

no problems with distributor clearance?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Mustang629

No problems with distributor clearance.

I am having a hell of a time trying to get these full-length headers in right now. I am going in from the bottom and I have *very* little clearance with the rack & pinion steering.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
I hope you have better luck with that LMM brace than I did. I bought that exact same one and tried to use it. It wouldn't fit down on my shock towers & cowl evenly (like my original export brace did), and the cross bar was directly over the distributor, actually touching the wires. It would have made any distributor work impossible. I ended up selling to MustangSteve who cut the Monte Carlo section off and using on his daughter's efi swap.

Looking at old forums. I have a 65 with a 93 EFI engine. Am installing Maier Racing SFC's and X member Monday. Next step is Monte Carlo bar or shock tower braces. Looks like you have about same set-up as me. Whose braces did you use and did it require any mods? Thanks.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

JamesW, What type of nuts and bolts did you use on the engine bay walls, and shock tower mounts? They look different. Where'd you get them? Can you post a close up? Looks like a good weekend project.

As for the long tube header question, you have to unbolt the engine and jack it up a little. Been there done that, 5x, it sucks. Also, when I did it, I had driven the front wheels up on a car ramp, so that it gave me extra room to move the long tubes around under the car. I suggest putting the headers in a glad bag when pushing it up from the bottom so that you dont scratch everything all to hell. You will have to muscle it in, even with the engine jacked up a bit.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 PM
JamesW

Here's a little more recent photos...this year. I used an 18" wide piece of 1/4" plate aluminum to make the firewall cap, and cut the shock tower caps from a home made template.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:57 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

JamesW, What type of alan wrench fasteners are those and where did you get them?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 PM
JamesW

I bought a set of stainless allen head csk bolts with washers... geez..probably 10 years ago from a guy on VMF. you can get them from Mcmaster Carr or maybe ebay these days

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace?