Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

WTF? I have Posi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

Default WTF? I have Posi?

Bone stock 69 grande mustang coupe. Thought id check if I had positraction... ya know power to both the wheels. Did a burn out and sure enough 2 burnout marks. I didn't know stock mustangs had posi. The original owner didn't do anything to this car so I know he didn't add it. How does this affect the worth of my vehicle?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:05 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: WTF? I have Posi?

some did some didnt affect the value not significantly but it is nice if you have the original door tag you can find out if its original to the car www.mustangdecoder.com
Old 12-19-2007, 05:16 AM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

and its not "posi" lol.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Just as an FYI sometimes non-trac lok cars can leave 2 marks but it is usually only when you leave short marks.

I think the easiest way to be sure that I know about (aside from dissassebly) is to just put it up stands and turn the rear tire by hand on one side. If they turn the same direction you have a lock device of some sort installed.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

If I had "posi" (Which is a GM term and part) in my Ford I would be saying WTF too What you probably have is a trac-lok differential
Old 12-19-2007, 09:08 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yes decode your door tag and theres a metal tag on the rear end with some numbers on it give it to me ill tell you what it is.Also if you have a old rear end thats never had the gear oil changed it can act like a lsd my old truck i thought had one and didn't.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:38 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

It is a posi, doesn't matter the maker. It is an industry accepted term, get over it.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan
It is a posi, doesn't matter the maker. It is an industry accepted term, get over it.
I understand that the car crowd at large knows that when you say "posi" that it means a limited slip or locking differential regardless of make or model, BUT the Ford 9" is one of the parts that was so good that it ends up in all kinds of cars regardless of make or model. The ford 9" is as common in street rods as 350 SB Chevy sooooo lets give ford the credit it earned by producing a superior part coveted by builders of all makes and models and call it by fords name trac-lok. You wouldn't want some one to refer to your Mustang as a Camaro would you, and just because the general public does not know any better does not make it an "industry accepted term” OK I am done ranting about my biggest car pet peeve.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I subscribe to a few Mustang magazines, and they refer to a limited-slip type of differential as a "posi" all the time. Maybe because it's easier to say than trac-lock or maybe because everyone with any automotive knowledge knows what a "posi" is and some may not know what a trac-lock is. Granted, Ford did a great job on the design of the 9" as evidenced by the fact that many GM and Mopar muscle cars use them as replacements for their maker's design. But, it's not necessarily the differential that they want, it's the housing. Most I read about use an aftermarket differential in their 9" housing.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

... trac-lock or maybe because everyone with any automotive knowledge knows what a "posi" is and some may not know what a trac-lock is.
that's exactly it. when I tell the lads in the car club i'm gonna buy a trac loc (january .. yiehaa can't wait) the reply I get is:
what is is and how is it different to a posi ... and I can include myself in that til recently as well ;-)

Quick Reply: WTF? I have Posi?