Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

400 hp what to upgrade tranny and rearend wise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 AM
The stang II
2nd Gear Member

Default 400 hp what to upgrade tranny and rearend wise

Ok some of you may have read that I was going to sell my stang. Well I figured that would cause me to go in debt after buying a new stang and supercharging it. SO, what I am going to do is give the engine to our engine builder and have him build a 400 hp engine for me for about 4 grand. Now with that power my dad brought up a good issue.

My tranny how it is (C4) slips right now, and with 400 hp she won't like that too much. And the stock 8 in rear end I have won't handle the power too well either.

So my question to you guys is, what tranny can I replace mine with and same with the rear end for cheap? I want to go to a 8.8 rear end or 9 but where do I look for those?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:35 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: 400 hp what to upgrade

heres all you need save some money to get a transmission http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...dup/index.html
Old 12-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

The 8in will handle the HP unless you run a sticky tire. Any chassis mods? Subframe connectors?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:40 PM
The stang II
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to take the car to the track so i'm prolly going to get a DR prolly not a slick. But what 8.8 inch rear end can work with my car? You guys know? Thanks for your help though.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:45 PM
The stang II
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

heres all you need save some money to get a transmission http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...dup/index.html
Yea I was talking to my dads worker who has a 450 hp engine built and said he just changed the cam, and the springs and had everything else machined including heads and rods and everything else. It was a 70 camaro V8 engine. But yea other than that everything was just machined by our REALLY good engine builder. But thats what i'm going to do. BUt i'm going to get heads/cam, and have him machine everything.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:04 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

go buy a 87-93 5.0ho(lincoln mark 7 are easy to find and most junkyard dont know they are the ho motors) and a torque wrech and a new set of rings, gasket set,oil pump,timing chain etc take apart clean reassemble paint = few hundred bucks buy head carb intake 1500$ less than 2g for a good motor then buy a tranny or build your own c4 for cheap like 400bucks witha converter and use the other cash laft over for lots of other things
Old 12-22-2007, 03:46 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

craigslist is the way to go when you are looking for stuff like that. IMO at least.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:40 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

glad to hear your going to keep the II, sad to hear your going to spend 4k on a 400hp motor.

as said already your rear will probably hold ok, the easist thing to do is rebuild it with a posi pumpkin for less than 500 bucks. you get the whole center section assembled and you can install it easily without having to worry about screwing up the clearances.

the tranny, you can build a really stout C4 for less than a grand. look around on ebay and see whats what, PA makes good trannies for cheap, but you need to stick with your small mustang II torque converter so call edge racing and they'll get you right. they had II converters on hand and did one up for 2800 stall and i just mailed mine in as a core.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:57 AM
The stang II
2nd Gear Member

4k on a motor that is guaranteed not to blow up. He builds very very good motors. I need a set of aluminum heads, new cam, what else should I get new?

But My77: You really think my C4 is good enough if I rebuild it? It's slipping how it is now, so how would I go about rebuilding it? Also the rear end you think is good enough too, if I have 350-400 hp? I have my friends rear end out of a 92 Explorer, it has 5 lug 3.73's and limited slip diff. I want to do that to be safe. But what all has to be done to make it work?

I read that it would work, but with slight fabricating.

THANK YOU GUYS.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:38 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

for 4,000 you shouldnt have to worry about anything except paying him and picking up the motor but it SHOULD have aluminum heads for that price.

the C4, basically you want the following......

higher stall converter (i used a 2800 stall from edge racing)
shift improver kit or upgraded valvebody ( i used a TCI streetfighter, which is a ford unit rebuild with their parts)
alto red eagle clutchs with kolene steels (what i used)
kevlar bands (what i used)
heavy duty servo (usually billet and shiney, what i used)
and if you want to take it a step further a upgraded planetary unit. (i blew my stock one out so i can attest for it being a weak point)

also a good tranny cooler and quality fluid is a big plus. i used b&m synthetic trick shift fluid and i forget the name of the cooler.

check it out, without the red eagle clutches and upgraded planetary these are rated tfor 450 HP and are great trannies....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perfo...QQcmdZViewItem

you could rebuild it yourself for less, if you go that route i HIGHLY recommend a tutorial DVD. i bought a book, but once i had it apart i got cold feet. with a video watching the guy assemble i think i would have been 500% more confident.

Quick Reply: 400 hp what to upgrade tranny and rearend wise