Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I can't decide if I want to buy a 68 or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I can't decide if I want to buy a 68 or not

What's wrong with a 68 daily driver? There are a lot of parts available and you can have a new drive train that will be as reliable as the 04. The ride might not be as comfortable but the attention might make up for it.....
Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mormonstang

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Wait alittle bit till you find another classic for sale...
why do you say this, because there is no engine or tranny? Well if I ever bought a classic, I would put a new engine and tranny in it anyway. I would like to have a ported 351w and a 5 speed.
I say this becuase if it was me, I personally wouldnt jump on the first car I saw for sale. Not saying that that is what you are doing or anything, but many people do haha. And having a decent car that is running ok is tons easier to work on than a rolling chassis, and is worth the extra dough. Mine is a full scale restoration, you name it, its getting replaced. It really sucks alot of the time becuase I cant drive it, I wont drive it till its finished. How does my new suspension handle? No clue, cant drive it. How do I get it to the shop for work? Kinda hard, no engine and no brakes. And putting a car together takes alot of learning, even on these easy cars. Thats just my opinion though...
Old 01-07-2008, 02:02 AM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

well, if its not a nessesary daily driver right now (meaning you have another car to drive to make money for the mustang parts) then it could work. it would be pretty easy to learn engine mechanics if you bought one already out of the car. how is the body of the 68 your looking at? if its a pile of rusty sheet metal...that would add a whole lot more work as well
Old 01-07-2008, 02:39 PM
68six

I bought a '68 about a year ago and find that it is fairly simple to work on, although I sure am spending a bunch of money on tools. You didn't mention what kind of engine was coming out of the Mustang you are considering, but if it is a six cylinder, you may want to consider the amount of effort that it will take to make modifications enabling you to put a V8 in it. I have an in-line 6-cylinder engine now and have just about completed the upgrade of the rear end (8-inch). It is more work than I imagined but it has been fun.

I think that there are enough 68s around that you wouldn't really need to buy one without an engine, however.

I'm curious, though: you say that you don't know much about cars, but you're considering a car without an engine. Why?

[IMG]local://upfiles/72889/3D9351A209F34C938373E31415308B57.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

Find a complete car, even if it doesn't run,that way you have a pretty good idea of how it is supposed to be, especiallly if you don't know anything about these cars. It helps to have a place to work on it, not much fun laying in the mud.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:09 PM
coupe68
1st Gear Member

Get the 68! You'll be owning a piece of history man. The older stangs look so much better than the new ones, and if your looking for a project...go for it. However, I have a 68, and these things are expensive to work on. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

what kind of answer were you expecting? lol asking a bunch of people who own CLASSIC MUSTANGS if you should buy one.... lol DUH
Old 01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
theAutomatics
1st Gear Member

Plus tons of 68's already have 289 or 302 blocks. If you have your heart set on a 351 do it. If not, you can bore and stroke it to a 331, 347 etc. That'll get you 400hp pretty easily. I was in the same dillema as you.

If it's true you "don't know anything about cars" then it sounds you'll have someone do the work for you either way..... in which case what's your long term goal?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
mormonstang

ORIGINAL: 68six

I bought a '68 about a year ago and find that it is fairly simple to work on, although I sure am spending a bunch of money on tools. You didn't mention what kind of engine was coming out of the Mustang you are considering, but if it is a six cylinder, you may want to consider the amount of effort that it will take to make modifications enabling you to put a V8 in it. I have an in-line 6-cylinder engine now and have just about completed the upgrade of the rear end (8-inch). It is more work than I imagined but it has been fun.

I think that there are enough 68s around that you wouldn't really need to buy one without an engine, however.

I'm curious, though: you say that you don't know much about cars, but you're considering a car without an engine. Why?

[IMG]local://upfiles/72889/3D9351A209F34C938373E31415308B57.jpg[/IMG]
It used to be a car that got into the high 9's, he would use it for manly dragging. So I wont have to worry about putting too much power in it.

If I was to ever get a 68, this would be the route I would want to go. Just because I can get a totally brand new engine, and make it how I want it to be, instead of getting a used old engine that is already in a car, and then making it how I want to be. Just something I think would be fun as well, for those weekends that I'm not working and not doing school work.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:08 PM
mormonstang

ORIGINAL: coupe68

Get the 68! You'll be owning a piece of history man. The older stangs look so much better than the new ones, and if your looking for a project...go for it. However, I have a 68, and these things are expensive to work on. Good luck!
You say expensive, but how much would you say? Just curious.

Quick Reply: I can't decide if I want to buy a 68 or not