Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

DIY Ram Air?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 AM
REAVER117
2nd Gear Member

Default DIY Ram Air?

I'm planning on buying a 1969 Mustang Fastback and installing the Boss 429 hood scoop. The engine will most likely be a 302 2v, anyway I was wondering if I installed a K&N XSTREME Air Filter Top if I could cut a hole in the hood under the Boss scoop and just feed the air into the non-ram air filter. I would most likely install a gasket and seal between the hood and filter, but would this work or could it possibly damage the engine? I'm not looking for a big boost in performance, I just detest non-functional hood scoops. I don't have much experience with automotive work specifically, but I have takena fewmetal shop and4 stroke engine courses in high school.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Gun Jam

Default RE: DIY Ram Air?

I did the same thing.

I cut away a section under the hood scoop then built a small box to direct the air flow right where it needed to be which is over the top of the K&N Xstreme. Then I used foam rubber to make the seal between the box and the air filter.

It works but I need better rubber because the foam rubber i used is starting to deteriorate. I think something like side window weather strip would work great.

Gun
Old 01-16-2008, 01:22 AM
REAVER117
2nd Gear Member

Alright, thanks. Did you only use the Xstreme or did you use a standard round air filter as well?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

you can do it but other than a cool air intake you won't see much of an improvement. here is an excerpt from my web page on the subject.

Many people have "ram air " on their cars, or at least they think they do. A hood scoop is a wonderful way to provide cool fresh air to a motor, however, even if you are cruising down the road at 80+MPH, there is not enough air pressure at the scoop to force air into the motor. The problem is that air pressure is created in front of the car. As the air is pushed out of the way, it is forced up, down , and to the sides. The upward motion of the air dissipating off the front of the car redirects any forward air that would be going into your hood scoop, up and over the car. Think of it like a bug deflector, but instead of pushing bugs up and over the car, it is air flow. I received this quote in an email:

"I have experience in the "Bug Deflector" idea. I have an '89 Mustang with a Cervini's Ram Air hood. I spent probably an extra $400 for the ram air kit. From 0-30 MPH, there is very little difference and could be slightly slower. From 30-80, you can feel a SLIGHT bit of increase. At 80+, there is a tremendous bog due to lack of air. I left the kit functional for only about a month. Since then, it's taking up storage space in the basement." Scott Fouts

As illustrated, this means little-to-no air pressure at the scoop. There is a solution, however, tubes can be run from the front of the car to a sealed air cleaner holder, which will give you true ram air. The best part is, this is something you can build at home with very little time and money.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: REAVER117

...I just detest non-functional hood scoops. ...
Kind of like the fake scoops in the quarter panels of 69 fastbacks Just kidding. IMO a Boss 429 scoop needs a 429 under the hood, but to each is own. As for ram air, like daze said, you get a more effective ram air by running tubes from the front of the car to the air cleaner. On a 69 you could convert to a 2-headlight system and use the other headlight buckets for the ram air intake. Would require some ducting, but would be more effective.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:22 AM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daze

you can do it but other than a cool air intake you won't see much of an improvement. here is an excerpt from my web page on the subject.

Many people have "ram air " on their cars, or at least they think they do. A hood scoop is a wonderful way to provide cool fresh air to a motor, however, even if you are cruising down the road at 80+MPH, there is not enough air pressure at the scoop to force air into the motor. The problem is that air pressure is created in front of the car. As the air is pushed out of the way, it is forced up, down , and to the sides. The upward motion of the air dissipating off the front of the car redirects any forward air that would be going into your hood scoop, up and over the car. Think of it like a bug deflector, but instead of pushing bugs up and over the car, it is air flow. I received this quote in an email:

"I have experience in the "Bug Deflector" idea. I have an '89 Mustang with a Cervini's Ram Air hood. I spent probably an extra $400 for the ram air kit. From 0-30 MPH, there is very little difference and could be slightly slower. From 30-80, you can feel a SLIGHT bit of increase. At 80+, there is a tremendous bog due to lack of air. I left the kit functional for only about a month. Since then, it's taking up storage space in the basement." Scott Fouts

As illustrated, this means little-to-no air pressure at the scoop. There is a solution, however, tubes can be run from the front of the car to a sealed air cleaner holder, which will give you true ram air. The best part is, this is something you can build at home with very little time and money.

It's called the boundary layer and Dodge got around this with their raised hood scoops such as the one on the T/A Challenger. http://www.rjcars.com/images/70-ta-challenger.gif
The sealed box with the hoses it what Ford used on the T-Bolts andOld used asimliar system on their early 442's.A kit is available from Crites resotration for the T-Bolt system. A company called Ram Air Box also makes kits that are similiar to the T-Bolt system.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

once had an Opel kadett B from 68 with believe it or not 34HP (thirtyfour) in a 70ci engine.
the airfilter had a snorkel and i attached toilet paper rolls to that forward to the front of the car and wrapped all that with duct tape.
that actually worked a bit from 40mph on. I would have never shown this to anyone, but who's showing off such an engine anyway ;-)

Kalli
Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Gun Jam

I have both the xstreme and the regular filter
Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 PM
REAVER117
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll try a couple of different methods and see if it yields any performance gains. I don't mind if the gains are minute, but I'd hate for it to hinder performance. Oh, and as a side note I am also considering cutting out the quarter panel brake scoops.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Gun Jam

Yeah im also thinking about the brake scoops too but not for a while yet.

Gun

Quick Reply: DIY Ram Air?