Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Isn't this one of the prettiest things you have ever seen!?!?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default Isn't this one of the prettiest things you have ever seen!?!?!?!?!?!

My coil over shocks from speedway motors came the other day.

For those of you that do not know this already. One of the projects I am working on is putting a Jaguar IRS in my Mustang. Sense the rear is getting a major suspension overhaul I decided that the current front suspension configuration on my car, which by the way i am extreamly happy with, needed a little improvement to fully compliment the rear suspension. SOOOO I started looking at the full coil-over set ups offered by the main companies out there. After much research I decided that I was not going to spend $2500 for a few suspension parts, and decided to build my own. I already have adjustable strut rods. I have Finished modifing a set of stock LCAs with spherical bearings, to have screw in ball joints and then they were boxed in and powder coated. The tubular UCA I bought to modify have there screw in ball joints welded in on one side, but I still need to box them in, weld the sleeve in on the other side and finish the adjustor sleeves for alignment adjustments. All thats left, now that I have the coil-over shocks is for me to design the mounting brackets. I will have about $700 in to it and $400 of that is the shocks. Much better than $2500!!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:12 AM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Isn't this one of the prettiest things you have ever seen!?!?!?!?!?!

Looks good, can't wait to drive it! HaHa!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Isn't this one of the prettiest things you have ever seen!?!?!?!?!?!

Daze you are the man!!! Wish I had half of your talent. Nothing better than being able to do things yourself. Save money and more appreciation. Post some more pics.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03Maverik
Daze you are the man!!! Wish I had half of your talent. Nothing better than being able to do things yourself. Save money and more appreciation. Post some more pics.
Here is a picture of the LCA

Here is the first UCA I made. The ones I am making now are much cleaner. they have screw in ball joints and the bottom side is boxed in. Also the adjuster sleeves are a one piece design. I will post pics of them once they are done

Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

damn! looks like a very satisfying project. hey, if some one else can do it, why not!? (I can only dream of doing that right now haha)
you know, i was driving home tonight and saw a jag, and the original post about the independent rear came to mind
Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

what year jag are you geting the cage from? we have owned classic jags for years and have worked on them for yearsso I know alot about them! I would like to see somephotoson how you would fit it in there? if you don't mined? thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

I am actually working on two different Jag rear retrofits. One is going in my 62 Galaxie which is almost a direct bolt in and the other is going in my 65 Mustang. Both came from XJ6 donor cars one a series I and one a series III. The Galaxie IRS unit will retain the cage, but the Mustang one will have a custom built cross member. I am about 2/3 of the way done with my Mustang IRS unit and about 1/3 finished on the Galaxie. I have been lots of pictures as I go and have been documenting my project on my web page. I have three pages done and page 4 is in the works.

Putting Independant Rear Susprnsion (IRS) in a Classic Mustang
Page I : Why make the upgrade and Fords original IRS design
Page II : Where to find a unit, and then taredown, and cleaning.
Page III, Narrowing of the LCAs and half shafts and converting the Jaguar bolt pattern to a Ford bolt pattern.

Being familiar with Jaguars let me know what you think.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:43 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

nice... thats cool we have a 78 xj12 with a 69 camaro 327 in it the cage looks allmost like the cobras i have worked on so meny jags it's not funny...... well good luck with it and post some photos with it in and done... I would like to see it.. thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 09:17 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Daze, hows that goin for ya?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

It is coming along I just used my new lathe to machine some 1" hex stock for the UCA mounting shafts. I am also going to machine some 1" hex stock as the connecting sleeves. I also am having a shock tower sent to me so I can start mocking up the coil over parts and design the mounting brackets.

Quick Reply: Isn't this one of the prettiest things you have ever seen!?!?!?!?!?!