Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351C Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:12 PM
pigcop
1st Gear Member

Default 351C Intake Question

I have 72 Mach 1 w/ ram air and a 351C 4V. It currently has a Holley Street Dominator intake on it. I want to put Edelbrock Cleveland Heads on it to replace the stock heads. I was thinking of putting an Edelbrock Air-Gap intake on it as well due to the fact that the intake and heads would match. What I don't know, because the fenders and hood are off the car, is will this intake fit under the ram air hood? Here are some specs: The Holley measures 3.68 in the front and 5.02 in back. The Edelbrock is 4.48 and 5.56. Second question. If the Edelbrock doesn't fit, should I stay with the Holley or look for something else?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:15 AM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 351C Intake Question

I can't answer the hood clearance question other than to say I have a Blue Thunder intake on mine and I still have enough clearance to close the hood.
Before getting the Eddy heads take a look at CHI first. Similiar cost and the flow much better. http://www.chiheads.com/ For more info on Eddy vs. CHI check these guys out http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/This is everything you would want to know about Clevelands.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I think you should do a little more research before spending money.
If you really want aluminum heads there are much better choices available. As it stands I believe the edlebrocks don't keep up with your 4v heads now.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/ <== linked again for emphaisis
Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 PM
pigcop
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help. While I'm somewhat mechanical, I have never taken on this type of project. Any help would be appreciated. Do you guys have any suggestions for set up? I'm not really looking to race. Maybe one in a great while, mostly just want a good strong engine.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 AM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

If you're looking for a strong street engine I'd stick with your stock heads. There are guys on the Network54 forum making 500+hp with 2V heads. If you're looking for a street engine I'd highly recommend the Blue Thunder intake and you can still close your hood with the ram air setup. Againt the guys on Network54 can help with cam, carb selection, etc.....
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I did a BUNCH of head research on Clevelands before deciding to go back with a Windsor block in my '69. The stock 4V heads, both closed and open chamber, flow well but have too big of ports to get any velocity. This equates to crummy performance with a natural aspirated motor. If you had a blower or turbo, you would be in buisness. If you want good Cleveland heads, for a NA Clevo get CHI heads. They are pricey, but kick arss. They have a number of different versions depending on what you want to do.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pushrodpower

If you're looking for a strong street engine I'd stick with your stock heads. There are guys on the Network54 forum making 500+hp with 2V heads. If you're looking for a street engine I'd highly recommend the Blue Thunder intake and you can still close your hood with the ram air setup. Againt the guys on Network54 can help with cam, carb selection, etc.....
Good point. The 2v heads are more desireable than the 4v because of velocity and compression ratio issues. I have 4V closed chamber heads and they run about 11:1 at 225-235psi compression. My Cleveland runs well with a torker and 650 Holley, but nothing like an Air Gap with good aftermarket heads.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 PM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: urban_cowboy

ORIGINAL: pushrodpower

Good point. The 2v heads are more desireable than the 4v because of velocity and compression ratio issues. I have 4V closed chamber heads and they run about 11:1 at 225-235psi compression. My Cleveland runs well with a torker and 650 Holley, but nothing like an Air Gap with good aftermarket heads.
The 2V heads are not more desirable on a Cleveland engines. I was illustrating the fact that they even with the less desirable head you can still make big power. The biggest hit against the 2v heads is the fact that they have an open combustion chamber that is more prone to detonation.
If you want more low end torque get rid of your single plane Torker and get a good dual plane intake such as the Blue Thunder.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

+10,000 on the CHI heads, they've built some 351 combos that are putting out 500+hp on pump fuel in streetable rpm ranges without much difficulty.

As far as the intake, you can't really ber certain until you put it goether and check. Worst case you could just go to a shorter air cleaner with a K&N Xtreme top.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM
pushrodpower
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: urban_cowboy

I did a BUNCH of head research on Clevelands before deciding to go back with a Windsor block in my '69. The stock 4V heads, both closed and open chamber, flow well but have too big of ports to get any velocity. This equates to crummy performance with a natural aspirated motor. If you had a blower or turbo, you would be in buisness. If you want good Cleveland heads, for a NA Clevo get CHI heads. They are pricey, but kick arss. They have a number of different versions depending on what you want to do.
Where did you get your information from? I have 4v heads and my car does not suffer from a lack of power at all, even off idle.
I would also suggest a visit to the Network54 335 site and they can dispell all of the misinformation regarding the 4V heads that's been going around for years.

Quick Reply: 351C Intake Question