Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351C Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:48 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 351C Intake Question

ORIGINAL: pushrodpower

ORIGINAL: urban_cowboy

ORIGINAL: pushrodpower

If you're looking for a strong street engine I'd stick with your stock heads. There are guys on the Network54 forum making 500+hp with 2V heads. If you're looking for a street engine I'd highly recommend the Blue Thunder intake and you can still close your hood with the ram air setup. Againt the guys on Network54 can help with cam, carb selection, etc.....
Good point. The 2v heads are more desireable than the 4v because of velocity and compression ratio issues. I have 4V closed chamber heads and they run about 11:1 at 225-235psi compression. My Cleveland runs well with a torker and 650 Holley, but nothing like an Air Gap with good aftermarket heads.
The 2V heads are not more desirable on a Cleveland engines. I was illustrating the fact that they even with the less desirable head you can still make big power. The biggest hit against the 2v heads is the fact that they have an open combustion chamber that is more prone to detonation.
If you want more low end torque get rid of your single plane Torker and get a good dual plane intake such as the Blue Thunder.
I have read a great deal at the Cleveland Forum when I was trying to decide what route to take. I am getting rid of the Torker. In fact I am getting rid of the whole setup and going with a 383 Dart stroker. Please do not think I am hostile to Clevelands. I like them, but from everything I have read, they do suffer from having TOO big of ports for the engine displacment for street use. I am not saying your engine sucks. Mine does not suck. But smaller ports in aftermarket heads would great improve my performance over the stock heads.

351 displacement cannot make use of the port volume that the 4v heads yield. It was explained to me like this. Without air being forced into the engine (i.e. a blower or turbo) air is pulled via the action of the pistons moving down. At low-mid rpms, the engine struggles to pull enough air via the large ports due tothe lack ofvelocity. There is a reason not everyone runns 215cc heads and 1000cfm carbs. Smaller ports equal higher velocity. Yes the 4v heads have potential, but they need to be coupled with either forced inductions or high rpms. If you are not using either of those, the smaller port runners in the aftermarket stuff are much preferred. IMO.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

You forgot larger displacement
Old 01-28-2008, 02:08 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

You forgot larger displacement
Thank you...Or larger displacment.

I think the stock intake runners are in the neighborhood of 235cc. That is way big compared to most aftermarket heads for 351 inch displacment motors which are in the 195cc range.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM
pigcop
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the help guys. The info I received from you and the other forums you gave has tripled the knowlege that I had before.

Thanks again.
John