Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Surprise rust hole - updated finished pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:42 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default Surprise rust hole - updated finished pics

Scroll down for new pics in reply post.

Getting her ready for paint. So I sanded down the lower front fender where there was rust. Right side was fine. Got the rust off - a skim coat of Bondo for some minor surface pitting and then primer. Right side looked a little rougher. Kept sanding. Saw daylight. Took it down to the metal inside and out and found this. Not really too bad. Very localized. An inch outside the affected area is good metal. Even the edges of the fender look pretty decent as you can see in the photo. I figure a quarter inch of Bondo on the insideshould do it.Just Kidding!!!! Think I'll cut it out an inch or so outside the holes and put it a patch. There is some pitting and stain but the inside actually looks better than the picture shows. The previous owner cleaned and painted the underside every few years but something must have gotten under the paint right here. Not being a welder I thought I'd try some 3M Panel Bond here. Make a little patch, flange the edges and bond it in so the exterior of the patch is flush with the surface of the fender.

[IMG]local://upfiles/82474/BD52A3E19F3749F0B62D9648E1C208B3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/82474/660DF3C7C2A845F282A33721E9364205.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/82474/0069E28BE9E24EAB8280CF1F736F813B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Surprise rust hole

If it was me, I would fiberglass the inside, that will give you something to put body filler on the outside.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
68goldstang
1st Gear Member

You really need to clean that area good or you're asking that rust to come back. If it was me I would take it and have the lower section blasted carefully and then roughen the back and use "All Metal" from the backside and then use reg filler on the front side. No matter which way you decide fiberglass or Metal filler make sure it's damn clean or it will come back and ruin your paint.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:46 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

What's "All Metal?" Is that a filler? I still need something solid for backing don't I? It will be down to shiny metal before I do anything. For some reason the shadows make it all look dark, even where it is good. There are still specks of rust in thepits which I have to get out but most of the surface is actually clean.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:34 PM
r7jbodyshop
1st Gear Member

If it were me I would first sand blast< then weld(mig) in some metal,(careful with the voltage)grind down with 36# then put a light coat of 3m glazing putty. finish sanding with 320# prime and paint. If that does'nt work clean metal up real good, of course,fiberglass inside, glazing putty outside(no more than a 1/8 of an inch thicknessof putty) sand, prime and paint.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
68goldstang
1st Gear Member

I use "All Metal" because it has small metal particles in it and is alot stornger than just body filler.
All Metal is like filler in that you have to mix it with hardener. When it sets up it is like a rock. You can get it at most every body paint store. The reason I don't use fiberglass is because in that area you are doing it can and will get moisture on it and eventually get under the glass and lift. I would get that area blasted or something to eliminate the rust then use which every you decide to use. I would not enlarge the holes, you do not need to if it's been cleaned.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

oh thats nothing, you should have seen my car!!! rust holes and bad patches on every corner... suprisingly the fenders were the only good panels...

make sure to check your doors and quarter panels as those tend to rust even more.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yes the metal body filler is ok fiberglass over anything but fiberglass will pop loose over time.Could also lead aka body soilder the hole up.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:53 PM
r7jbodyshop
1st Gear Member

[:@]metal would be best.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
68goldstang
1st Gear Member

Yes metal is best, a small area isn't that hard to patch in and it's a good learning experience. Maybe find a local shop to do it for you if you don't want to try it.

Quick Reply: Surprise rust hole - updated finished pics