Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New to forum, new project (66).

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 AM
sojerguy

Default New to forum, new project (66).

I'm presently contracting here in the sandbox. Just before coming over I picked up a 66 hatchback, with plans on modifying it.

It already has a 74 351 Windsor w/ 2bbl carb. I'm looking at making it a more modern 'classic looking' car. I'm in need of ideas and links. The engine and tranny (auto 3 speed I believe) run fine, but I was given a new Edelbrock 4 bbl for it. Yes that'll require a new in-manifold. Wondering the valve guides have been hardened for unleaded? Changed rear tranny seal and found a bad u-joint on the driveshaft. Changed them and found it was NOT a 66 tranny and shaft. 73-74 u-joint fit perfectly.

Presently the car has the original 4 lug wheels with some very nice rims.I like the look of the rims and presently plan on keeping them. As this was originally a six cyl, what was likely in the rear end, and what changes would be possible keeping the 4 lug wheels?

Handling.I was given a nice Monte Carlo bar and beefed up 'V' bars (whatever the name of the brackets running from the firewall to fenders are correctly called), but have just run across the post about suspension upgrades. Opinions and options please.

Brakes. Definitely going to discs. All around ifI can find them.

Springs. Ideas???

Interior. New HD radio system/retractable antenna, etc. Seats. Need ideas for replacing the stock ones with of course something better than the original lap belts.

Steering wheel. Any adjustable options there?

I appreciate any and all input. Some more than others.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:00 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New to forum, new project (66).

Get ready to open your wallet. On the suspension you can change out the stock to TCP upper and lower control arms with spring roller perchs and adjustable struts. 620 coil springs and maybe some mid eye leafs on the rear. A nice front sway bar will help also (1-1/8"). If you have 4lug spindles, then I would loose them when you do the suspension mods as these are not designed to carry the weight of a V-8. Also the rearend will have to be changed. Try to upgrade to a 9" traction loc or limited slip (POSI) type unit. A larger drive line will be necessary also. As far as the seats, Scat Pro Car's are a nice upgrade. I would try to move the mounts or seat bases back and maybe even lower them if I changed them out. This will give you a little more head and leg room, these cars were built for short people. The steering column can be changed out in favor of a Flaming River unit, their are several options for the steering wheel from Grant (thrifty priced) to a Moto Lito that will cost a few hundred bucks. Make sure the splines are chosen to match. Up front, the Monte Carlo and export brace will stiffen up the towers and work good with the new suspension upgrades, a great improvment over the stock stuff. All wheel disc is the best improvment that you can make. Their are several options out their, I would stay with some of the more known names though. On the Stereo, that is an open market also. You can spend as much as you want. From a DVD flip screen to a simple CD-FM/AM unit. Sub woofers will give you that deep bass thump and will require an upgrade in the wiring to supply the extra power. The power antenna is not a problem, most aftermarket units have a output for these. If you decied to go with a DVD/CD, you will have to cut the dash for the DIN chassis. The interior is fairly straight foward with the exception of the seat choice. A new dash pad, carpet, door panels, mirror, handles, headliner is pretty much it.New seat belts with a shoulder belt is a great upgrade also. Helps prevent windshield starburstand cosmetic facial surgery in the event of a frontal impact.Well, thats a lot of work, but it sounds like you are setting up your car to be enjoyed for a long time. Its better to do in once and do it right the first time around. Also it will save you in the long run. When you get into it, theirare several people on here that will offer advice and suggestions that can help you in making accurate, gooddecisions that you will be happy with. A well conceived plan is worth its weight in gold. Be careful, and welcome back soon, and welcome to the Forums.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Once you get the v8 spindles these will work http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html here pbr same thing baer really is and a lot cheaper.Also http://mpproductsinaz.com/1965--1966-.html
Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Those interior accessories are really nice. I'm thinking about getting those door panels when I change out the interior.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

As far as the interior goes, i put seats out of a 69 mustang in mine because they look cooler and have a higher top for added safety. I also put in 3 point seat belts, but if you are looking to go all out, you should do a roll cage and 4 points. For the stereo I used a Custom Autosound USA1 which has an auxiliary jack and enough power for two 6x9s and two 4" speakers. The best part is, it fits in the stock stereo location so you dont have to hack up your dash.

For the handling, if you have the money I have heard great things about rack and pinion systems

Lastly, make sure you get the drivetrain right because it seemed like someone only did half the job before. Post some pics of the car!!! welcome to the forum
Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
JamesW

Check out my website for some extra time reading material....
Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BA Mustang

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Waffles

ORIGINAL: BA Mustang

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
oh not this again
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 PM
sojerguy

Will post pics as I get into the project, and are actually there working on it.

Now about that rack and pinon ... would swapping one out a '74-ish Mustang II be advisable, or better to get a different system?

Quick Reply: New to forum, new project (66).