Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

front disc

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 AM
anj33

Default front disc

noob here...i have a 70 coupe v8 car and was interested in opinions on chockostang front disc brakes. anyone out there who have these??
here is a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-67...spagenameZWDVW

thanks in advance for your response
Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: front disc

Id use http://www.discbrakeswap.com/ or if you don't mind 17 inch rims http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html the cobra brakes are pbr same thing baer really is.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:46 AM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: front disc

I installed chockostang equipment on my '67 Coupe. My car came with manual steering and manual drum brakes. I upgraded both. I added front discs, a power booster, and a new master cylinder. The booster was a SSBC booster, which allowed me to not have to replace the brake pedal. Everything else was original equipment, even the 4-piston calipers that came on the '67 model. I was quite happy with the completeness of the parts included. However, there were a couple things that made me scratch my head.

I was shorted a couple bolts. After calling him, he sent them immediately.

My car has hard lines running from the distribution block down to each wheel. The new hoses were a different thread size. I wound up having to find a reducer fitting to use the hoses.

I had to build my own "pigtails" (tubes the go from the master cylinder to the distribution block). If you're not good at tube bending, this can get ugly.

The only "instructions" was a hand-drawn picture of the brake line routing.

The kit came with a proportioning valve (allows you to dial in more or less rear brake). He advised me to forget about installing that. He was right. My car stops fine without a proportioning valve(I'm sure a lot of people will chime in on this one, telling you how the rear brakes will lock up before the fronts without a proportioning valve, but mine works great without it). If you absolutely feel the need to install a proportioning valve, I found one sold by SSBC that's a combination distribution block and p-valve.

Overall, I'm very happy with what I bought from my Chockley.