Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

my day

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM
slick66stang
3rd Gear Member

Default my day

today i was 5 minutes away from work when i lost all power to my car and was stuck in the road for over an hour. i wasnt getting fuel to my carb. i had a friend come and tow us(with a rope) to his house. we took the fuel pump off and got a new one which is the only shiny thing under my hood but anyway. got it running with the help of a 5 gallon gas can. went to kroger to get gas it took 15 gallons to fill my car up. yes i know everyone is going to laugh but i was out of gas. im going to buy a new gauge soon but til then im going to the store every other day to fill up
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default RE: my day

DOH!!

lol. Let he who has not been as stupid, cast the first stone.....
Old 02-01-2008, 03:00 PM
slick66stang
3rd Gear Member

who hasnt ever ran out of gas before? i sure have
Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

it happens man

its funny how when something like that happens very few people seem to check the MOST obvious problem

i have done it

more than once
Old 02-01-2008, 04:28 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

I did the same thing. it was the first tank through the car after restoring the interior, which included taking out the gauges. My dad decided that EVERY single piece of dust and every blemish was going to be off of the gauges before we put them back in so i think in the process one of us bent my gas needle. all told, i picked up my friend and my car stopped going forward in the middle of a street. i pulled in to a turn lane and that was as far as i got. luckily there wasnt much traffic and this guy with an old scout helped my friend push the car into a parking lot (it turned out to be a dollhouse store, which was kind of weird). Anyways, as they are pushing the car I hear honking and look over as a car full of friends (mostly girls) from my school rolls by laughing.

But ya, i thought something serious happened to the car so i called a tow truck and the guy came and was like "dude, you are just out of gas". it was really embarrassing, but it saved me a huge trip on a tow truck. it turned out that the guy owned a 65 and a 66 stang, a real SS camaro, and like 3 other classics.

no worries tho. everyone has to do it once in their life.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

I did it once in my Jeep. I did hours of troubleshooting on it until my wife asked me if there was gas in it. I went and put 15 gallons of gas in it.

I didn't know what was worse, me being stupid and running it out of gas, or my wife being the one to pointthat little tidbit out.

Happens to everyone at some point.