Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1966 GT advice

Old 02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
nuts4fords

Default 1966 GT advice

My mustang is an original(A) code 289,4 spd,candy apple red w/ dk red interior car, and was stored for years in a quansit. So, other than mice. it's not in too bad of condition. I tossed around the idea of keeping it original, but I really dislike red, so have decided to possibly paint it raven black w/ a eleanor hood, and gt350r facia. I am looking into converting to a 351 cleveland, c6 combo. TCP makes a power rack, but need to do the homework and see if it will fit with the cleveland. Also looking into a TCP coilover conversion kit. Has anybody had experience with these products? This spring I will start the disassembly and asess the amount of rust repairs, etc and start on the chassis and underhood, but need info from people about the changes I want to make. I have pics of the car in it's present state, but do not know how to post them.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:04 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 1966 GT advice

I installed the TCP coil over and the TCP manual r&p. Mine in a 67, but installation was failry easy. The instructions are not the best, but these things go on only one way and taking apart your older stuff will give you an idea how it all fits together. Everyone has their own idea of what they think the best system to use is and I'm sure they will chime in. I really liked the TCP setup best for me. Plus it is better price for a coil over kit than most. The products are top-notch. But do your homeowrk to make sure everything will fit. I know the 65's and 66's were tighter on space. Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
nuts4fords

I noticed in your photobucket that the rack bolts to the backside of your crossmember, if that's the case, it will not work with the cleveland due to header issues. I have tried to find a windsor, and no luck. I remember when all these motors were plentiful..lol. The only way it would work is if I ran stock manifolds, and stock manifold suck for h.p. Also, I thought I saw brake pedal assemblies somewhere to convert from the clutch setup. Anybody know who has em?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

this is just my opinion, and im not really sure where you are at with the car (if you have owned it for a long time, or if it has been in your family or something) but it sounds to me like you could sell that one and buy a non GT car, and have more money to spend on the car. but again, its your car so its your decision...

As far as pictures go, i think the best way to post them is to create a photobucket. its easy, fast, and free. you just upload a pic there and then copy the IMG code, and paste it in your post, but when you do that you have to change the [IMG] and [/IMG] at the front and back of the code to [IMG] and [/IMG] respectively.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:54 PM
nuts4fords

I bought the car a year ago last october. I traded my 84 and paid extra for it. I know it's a true GT, but I have noticed that only the (fastbacks) are valuable. It does not have the pony interior, or any other niceties about it, so, I am going to have a little fun with it. I shopped around for a 5.0-t-5 combo, good luck finding that..lol. I found a 4.6-auto/o.d. setup, but it was in a 95 Thunderbird, but that takes too much work to swap that, let alone the wiring nightmare. I found another mustang locally, but it's not in as nice of condition as mine, my Gt has very little rust.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I'm not a psychiatrist, but when I read through the list of what you think you'd like to get for the car you'll never keep it stock ...
so forget about that idea
Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM
nuts4fords

I never said I wanted it stock, I said I tossed the idea around. I am going to build a toy. I decided against stock, because it does not help the value anyway, so I want to have fun with it.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
nuts4fords

Hey nineteen66mustang, I see you are from Colorado. I am about an hour and a half east of Denver.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:12 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Not to be a jerk here, but if it's a C-code then it's not a real GT. Only A and K codes were GT cars.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:22 PM
nuts4fords

I'll look at the codes on my door jamb, but it's been a while. I do know it is not the hi-po, it is the lower of the 4 bbl motors, & the 4 bbl motor is still there.It has the factory fog light switch, ( but the lights are gone), it has the disc brakes, and the correct master cylinder for the GT. The gt badges were in the trunk, and the exhaust goes through the rear valance. I know the parts were available to change, but most people did not change everything. The only thing I did not check was the steering box #'s. I thought I remembered it as a c code, but It is not the high horse 289. I will go and write it all down this weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1966 GT advice