Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

timing pointer 289 vs. 302

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:56 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default timing pointer 289 vs. 302

I havea 302 in a 66 coupe and the timing marks look like they should be read from the driver side of the car. I am finishing up a Frontrunner install and it has a reverse flow water pump exiting the driver side. When I look at my shop manual, the timing pointer for the V8 looks like it is on the driver side. What should I do - put the timing pointer on the left side (Vintage air said to put in the holes on the left)? I looked up timing pointers on ford racing and found this - it says it mounts at 10:00 or 11:00 -- isn't this the left side?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=6360

I am a little lost on this, as well as where to find a replacement - so far, I have found the mustang guys like this on virginia classic mustang

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.co...p?itemid=EG622

or go aftermarket like the ford racing above

Where should I mount this thing?
Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: timing pointer 289 vs. 302

Yes, the timing pointer is on the passenger side, so it is 10 or 11 o'clock when looking at the balancer from the front, at least it is on my engine. I did not know they were ever on driver side. I have no idea whether you need a 10 or 11 o'clock version. I guess I need to know that too for a 351 Dart block. Forgot about that part!

Edit: The 10 o'clock version is not available from Summit, so I guess everyone uses the 11 o'clock version.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I dont know the answer, sorry.

But I suspect what you have is "reverse-rotation" not "reverse-flow". The latter is where the water pump pumps into the heads first instead of the block. As far as I'm aware, Ford has never offered this.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but at least you got a bump .....
Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I just re-read your orginal post. Reverse rotation water pumps are for serpentine belts, I believe. What are you planning to run (serpentine or v belts)? Also, regular flow water pumps have inlet options for both sides depending on what you want to do. That being said, I have only seen timing markers on the passenger side, so I do not know what others do when the pump inlet is on the passenger side.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I have been working on this car for 18 months and this is one of a few last items to go before turning the ignition. I just put the frontrunner serpentine setup from Vintage on so it is indeed a reverse-flow -- it goes to the heads first.

I am at work now but will take a look at the manual again tonight. Glad to hear that the consensus is that the item is on the passenger side.I am also going to go through the garage again to see if I can't find this....... I read somewhere that there were timing marks on the case itself so that would be different as well. I'll try to post the manual pic tonight as well

Thanks again all!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 PM
quesey
1st Gear Member

ok if i'm thinkin right the early mustangs if they had pump outlet on pass side timing mark was on drivers side if pump outlet was on drivers side timing mark was on pass side mine is late model 302 with pump outlet on pass side so when i built motor i had both timing markers on motor used the one on right to scibe marks on left side @0 10 20 30 then removed right side one
Old 02-05-2008, 03:16 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I have a 289, but not the foggiest idea what year.
My pointer is on the left hand side (driver side, about 2pm when looking from the front of the enigine bay).

here's pictures:
https://mustangforums.com/m_4157946/tm.htm

Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

awesome, thanks kalli!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:33 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

welcome. can make more pics if needed.

it actually doesn't matter really where you put a pointer. you just have to make sure it's
a) fixed position (doesn't move)
b) it's easy to see when looking down so you get a good view when strobing it.

if you have the pointer at a wrong position, you can always proceed as follows:
- remove spark plug 1st cylinder
- manually crank the engine so the 1st cylinder piston is near TDC (doesn't matter if compression stroke or exhaust stroke)
- hold a welding wire into the spark plug hole (long enough so you can drop it in there accidentally)
- have someone crank the engine back and forth (manually)so you can feel exactly where TDC is
- when you found TDC put a mark directly under the timing pointer.

So when you strobe you can easily find TDC and with a strobe that does advancing as well you'll have it easy to go for 8 or 10 degrees or whatever. If you only have a normal strobe then we should be able to calculate the distance from TDC on the wheel when we have the diameter.

at least that's the theory ... We had to do that once because a buddies balancer was slipped. same problem, just the other way round.

Kalli