Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

thinking about a T5

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:45 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default thinking about a T5

Hi all,

i'm currently swapping half the car (rearend, brakes). I have to decide for a gear ratio. if I stay with my current tranny, it'll have to be 3.2 or 3.0 or something as otherwise I get mad on motorways.

So as my transmission is probably going to die soon anyway, I was thinking about trying to get a T5.
I'll be crawling under the car to see what I actually have there. 5bolt/6bolt? Is there any way to identify the bellhousing without counting them?
And what do you think will that put me down? let's say I get an ok T5 for 500$, what else would I have to invest ? conervsion kit 350/400$, what else ?

thanks for any ideas

Kalli

Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: thinking about a T5

If it's a true 64-1/2, it should be a 5-bolt. The only other way I know of to check would be to grab the casting # off the block, but it's easier to just poke your head in there and count. If it is a 5-bolt, you'll have to stick with your factory bellhousing and use the conversion plate between the tranny and bellhousing. You may or may not need to have your driveshaft shortened. I've talked to people who've had to do it, and talked to people who haven't. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, if you do get a T5, opt for a lower gear ratio in the back. 3.25's will make an excellent freeway cruiser, but you'll get much better performance out of 3.50's or 3.73's without putting the rpm's too high on the freeway.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

that's exactly it. If I'll go for a 3.5 ratio I'll be a hapopy man with a T5. but without the T5 I'll go mad then

the car itslef was a originally an inline 6cyl. It's now a 289.
I can't get to the block casting without ripping out the starter (how stupid is that ...)
the datecode is end of 66 (6L22 I believe)
So from this I can organise the casting# of the bellhousing, but I believe noone will really know either from there.
So I'll stick my head into it again and try counting.
Does anyone have a picture of 5bolt and 6bolt, so I kjnow where the bolts are. I'm afraid of a stupid miscount ...

Old 02-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If it's a late 66, it should be a 6 bolt. IIRC, 5 bolts were only used into mid 65.

It's really easy to count the bolts, though. They're really big and obvious, and you should be able to see most, if not all, from the top.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

you're right. but I better make sure and start to count when home. I cannot rely on anything the POS did ... is POS the correct abbr for Previous Owner ..? ;-)
Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

It is PO-previous owner. POS-Piece Of S#it
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

same thing
Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
mustdoc
2nd Gear Member

Kalli

T5 is the best move I have made! I've got a 64.5 with a 260 V-8. The overdrive gear is heaven - the ride is now quiet, smooth and more fuel efficient (boosted up 6 mpg on average and even better on the highway.). I can easily keep up with others on the highway at 70+MPH. Before it reved really high at these speeds. I hope it extends the life of my 260.

Best of luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Kalli, Where do you plan on getting your t-5 to ireland? I was thinking of doing the T-5 swap in the distant future, I have enough parts that need fitting at present!!!, so I would very intrested in what suppliers you end up using. I know powertorque engineering in the UK sell ford racing parts but I am not sure they are cheap!! http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Power-Torque-Racing
Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hi Paddy,
long time no see. Always good to see that other people are in the same European boat ;-)

basically I'm getting a new rear axle to replace my weak 6cyl rear end. together with disc brakes all over.
Wheels I need as well because of 5-lug conv. I get the parts from all over the place. summit, quickperformance racing, NPD etc.
What I'm planning is to use a freight forwarder. They have a warehouse in New York, I have all parts shipped there. and when complete it will set sail to Dublin. I'm not sure yet on what exactly they're going to charge me. But I believe it'll be something like 150Euro per cubic meter. a cubic meter is a lot. I'll fit all parts + the gearbox in that volume if it needs be.
So far for the plan.

As for the gearbox itself: the seller you mention in the UK has a Ford Racing T5 for 1127 UK pounds, which is something like 1500Euro not including shipping to Ireland (or Netherland in your case).
The same gearbox goes for 1400$ in the states. which is just under 1000Euro. with duty (10% and VAT 21% that's about 1250Euro).
So only if you can organise shipping dirt cheap you'll be under the UK price.

So far I learned:
every seller I talked to has no problems whatsoever to send parts to New York, as they don't have to deal with the export. They don't care if the billing address is US or Ireland. Huge difference if the shipping adress is Ireland
It's costing me a lot of nerves and greay hair to get all that organised, but in the end I'll save a few dollars that I do not have.
For me it all started with: I need new brakes, means rear axle, means wheels ... so i thought: when I have space in the shipping volume, why not throw one in now instead of doing it later on its own for a lot of money.

Another thing: I was thiking about getting together with a few lads in the car club: one needs tires, the next a gearbox ... throw it all together and use a freight forwarder. loadsa money saved ...

As towards the T-5 I'm getting. I hope to ****** a rebuild one for 500-600 on ebay. I can't afford a 1400$box at the moment as I'll need to spend about 350$ for the conversion kit not including the gearstick and stuff.

As said, at the moment I'm thinking about it. It will be the best idea just as mustdoc says, but all of this is wrecking my head ....

Kalli

Quick Reply: thinking about a T5