Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need some opinions please - again

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:02 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need some opinions please - again

wait for sure...

if you give us some more info we might be able to help you find the right car. Where do you live, how much can you spend, what year/specs are you looking for...
Old 02-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Egg Man

I would pass as well. When you are buying a car you can slide on a few things like new paint or a motor that is not running. Those things you may want to customize yourself or maybe build a screaming motor in which you are going to tear in to the motor anyway. But if the sheet metal is shot I would avoid that as much as possible. Mustangs are unibody cars and any cancer on the body is going to affect the soundness of that car.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:56 AM
xian67
2nd Gear Member

look on
www.craigslist.org
thats where i found mine.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

PASS ON BOTH! Do this:

List a few things for us. You have at your fingertips a world full of mustang enthusiasts that know these cars like the back of our hands and the tops of our ----s.

Tell us

1. Where you are located
2. What Years you are MOST interested in
3. Overall condition you are looking for (IF you're a mechanc maybe youre willing to have them need mechanical work, if you're a body guy maybe you want them to be rusted out, just let us know what condition you need them in)
4. Price range you are looking in, and price range you are capable of spending to get this thing road worthy
5. Engine preferances

This will help us send you ones maybe you're interested in working with.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate all the advice!

I'm trying to find a good project car for my son and I to tackle for $1500-$3000. I wouldprefer to get a 65/66 V8 autocoupe (my knees can't handle manuals anymore), but I would buy a 67/68 as well. I'm not a "mechanic", but some powertrain stuff I can probably handle, but if I can't, I got a couple of friends to help me out there. Body-wise, I'm hoping to avoid any "welding" type repairs, especially with the frame rails, shock towers, cowl, etc. Realistically, I might be out of luck on thatbased onwhat I can afford!

As far as finding a Mustang, I've checked Craigslist (Northern VA)pretty much everyday and either I find one too much, with an I6 or requiring way too much work than I think I can handle. I've checked out Classic Auto trader too. It seems like the Mustang I want is out on the west coast! I had been considering getting an I6, but after reading everyone's post and advice on converting it, I think I'll let that idea go.

If anyone has anymore input, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Have you tried http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/ it took me 6 months to find my 68 coupe funny thing it wasn't for sell at the time i talked the own in to selling it since it sat in his garage for years.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I found my car on ebay and purchased it cash after viewing it in person. You can get a better deal that way and make sure you know what you are getting. I too found that most of the good condition cars were out west. I was lucky and found a Texas native car in Dallas. Just stick with it. It took me 3 years before I pulled the trigger. I know you want to work on it with your son, so you are under a timeline, but these things can take a while. There is a lot of junk out there. Let someone with big money buy those. As for price estimates, that is going to vary greatly based on year and model. 69 Mach 1s go for $15k as rust buckets, but you can get a 65 or 66 in pretty good shape for much less. I6 cars are going to be cheaper because they are less desirable. Do not rule them out if the body, etc is in good shape. Just keep in mind they will be worth less when you want to sell.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
bcs65

Good Luck.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 AM
fantastic
1st Gear Member

Finding the right car is a real problem. Let me tell you that I did it very wrong. I searched and looked at hundreds of cars, but I should have kept looking rather than getting too excited when I found one that seemed right.
The car, a 69 fastback, looked like it needed paint and body with some surface rust showing here and there. One thing I said to the owner was that I expected a solid floor and frame. I told him I didn't mind doing some patching, but it should be solid overall.
I looked at dozens of pictures, but was comforted by the fact that this car was in complete and drivable condition. In fact, it looked pretty damn good to me even from a few feet away.

I should have tweaked when the owner got nervous about me putting it up on the hoist, but the money had changed hands and I was committed.

Hey, this undercarriage looks pretty nice to me! It has been undercoated and it looks like the rust check oil is fairly fresh...

Later I was able to remove most of the floor and some of the frame with my bare hands. The tar was barely holding the metal together. This car had obviously been parked in the grass for quite some time before someone had covered up thecorrosion in hopes of selling it off.

I'm replacing the frame (all of it), floors from the tail light panel to the firewall, wheelwells and quarter panels, Doors, fenders, valence panels, and a raft of other parts. Does it sound like I'm building a newcar?? Does this sound like a car that was roadworthybut needed a few minor patches?

Watch what you are buying. Even on inspection the car might look pretty good. You will notknow until you really get into it so expect you are buying a bondo buggie or worse unless you can verify the work. In my case, I'm happy that I'll have a solid new car at the end of the adventure, but I would have liked to do the work in smaller sections rather than needing to replace everything all at once.

Greg
Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fantastic

I searched and looked at hundreds of cars, but I should have kept looking rather than getting too excited when I found one that seemed right.
That's my problem; I get all giddy when I think I found one and I just want to pull the trigger and get it. But, I'm taking everyone's advice and I'm going to avoid buying without seeingwhich ever one,in person.

Would it be out of place to take a hammer and "knock" on the floorpans, frames, etc to see if they are solid?

Quick Reply: Need some opinions please - again