Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

69 Fastback Speaker Location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:40 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default 69 Fastback Speaker Location?

I am in the process of installing an orginal radio in my 69 Mach 1. I want to run aftermarket speakers with an amp hidden either under the seat or in the turnk. There is a really old aftermarket radio and amp in the car now, so nothing is stock. I see a speaker behind each seat in the trim panel. I also see a one speaker in the dash. Are these the correct locations? I do not see any speakers in the doors and the panels look orginal. Any idea on speaker sizing for each location?

Given recent posts, I should say I am interested in orginal apperance and aftermarket quality (i.e. orginal radio and original speaker locations, but aftermarket speakers).
Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 69 Fastback Speaker Location?

More info. I have a rear folding seat.

Is it possible the car came with only a front dash speaker? I read something that said the rear kick panels were not orignal locations and the only original locations were the door and dash. As I said above, the door panels look orignal and do not have speakers, so did some of these guys only come with dash speakers maybe with an AM only radio?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 PM
03Mach69Mach
1st Gear Member

There were a couple of radio options in 1969. Of course the most popular radio was the AM only and the speaker for that radio is in the dash. If you chose the AM 8-track or the AM/FM then you got a set of speakers in the lower front section of the doors. There was no provision from the factory for speakers in the back sides or deck, although these were prime areas for install by owners. Mine had a set of 4x10 oval speakers in the back deck (non-fold down). They fit without cutting any metal, just the deck panel. I took them out and got a new deck panel. If you back seat sides are in good condition, I would caution you in not installing or cutting for speakers there as the panels are expensive to replace. On fold down seats, I have seen people install on the pass through door.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:06 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

My orginal am/fm radio that I bought only has two speaker connections (one for each door, I guess). How was the front speaker wired, or was it only used in AM only setups?

I am thinking of putting speakers in the doors and speakers in the rear kick panels where there are some installed all ready. Not sure how an orignal radio will sound with an amp. Has anyone tried it? My idea is to use my ipod with an fm modulator for tunes, but having an orginal radio would be cool.