Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

should I buy new bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:21 AM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

Default should I buy new bumpers?

What would be cheaper and more practical, Buying new OEM bumpers or getting my originals Re-chromed? The back bumper has some rust and both are pitted.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default RE: should I buy new bumpers?

Re-chromingcan be very expensive. You'll likely be looking at 250.00 to 300.00 at the very least for it to be done. My front bumper was replaced by the PO but he never replaced the rear which is now well.. entirely brown. I'll simply be replacing it with a new one.

Note: Bumpers will typically start to rust out from the inside. So before you put the new one on the car spraw the inside of it with a good Bedliner product first to add protection. Also buy a good metal polish like BlueMagic. This is a gentle polish good for stainless steel, chrome, aluminum and wheels. Whats nice about it is it leaves a thin Silicone film to help protect the part.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:04 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

OEM bumpers will cost as much as rechroming. You should go the repro route for bumpers. I use a set on my 70 Mach1. They are fantastic.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 AM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

I have heard a lot of people complain abour repro parts though, that they do not fit right. Did you have any issues with this?
And thanks Adernolin I will be sure to do that.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dugan

I have heard a lot of people complain abour repro parts though, that they do not fit right. Did you have any issues with this?
And thanks Adernolin I will be sure to do that.
You'll get people going both ways on this. I have yet to meet someone who has had a good experiance with repro's. My personal opinion is, original Ford tooling is your best and safest bet. They will fit like a glove on the first shot.

I've heard many complaints with the 64.5 thru 68 repro's being slightly off the mounting position or being really flimsy. Apparently, the majority of them are stamped out in China anyway. China. Need I say more?

Again, in my opinion, it would be a little more expensive to have the originals re-done, but over all, the cost would be worth the headache and busted knuckles along the way.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 AM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

I would order repop ones from one of the mustang supply companies with a good reputation, and if they dont work, send them back.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

The bumper I bought is a repro and is fantastic. We heard about the thin bumpers and stuff so we had them weigh the new bumper against my recromed bumper, and it weighed more! I forget the brand but I can try to figure it out if need be, but I think there are only like 2-3 people that make the bumpers, and just distribute them to multiple dealers.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I don't have any recent experience with rechrome bumpers but the one I did have about 20 years ago was kind of a bluish color and in a couple of years the chrome peeled. It was not a custom rechrome...just stock stuff, which probably is not as good.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninteen66mustang

I would order repop ones from one of the mustang supply companies with a good reputation, and if they dont work, send them back.
Just make sure it says "Made in the USA" somewhere on it. LOL!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 03:44 PM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

another vote for repro.... good quality and less than $100 bucks each.... It was going to cost me $250 each to chrome the orginal ones..

Quick Reply: should I buy new bumpers?