Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'69 Rocker panel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:10 AM
fantastic
1st Gear Member

Default '69 Rocker panel replacement

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...ocker%20Panel/

I've uploaded some photos of my long weekend project. As you can see in the photos, I'm replacing the driver side rocker with the Dynacorn part. I was told I'd have to "make some modifications." but nobody ever siad what those modifications were.

I'm building this car piece by piece. Most pieces are screwed into place so that I can test fit everything. Once I have it all fit together and it all lines up, I'll disassemble it all again and build the car from scratch starting with a brand new frame from bumper to bumper.

I am looking for a driver side door jam. Mine is totally rotted out. It seems that many of them are. If anyone has a door jam for sale, please give me a shout.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:06 PM
fantastic
1st Gear Member

Default RE: '69 Rocker panel replacement

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...errepla-17.jpg

I'm still at it, just came home for supper. Currently fighting with the alignment of the Dynacorn part because the lip where the rocker slides under the fender is too far forward. Actually itis 5/8" too far forward and thus thefender does not lay over it correctly. The solution is to cut out the lip and move it back. Alternatively I can bash the metal and form a new lip. Neither solution is ideal.

Still hoping to find a door jam for this side. Heading back to the shop to screw this all into place and start making the door jam. Hope you are all enjoying the photosof my weekend adventures.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:11 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I've been there before and I aligned the roker properly at the front with the fender and all.
I did the cutting and welding at the back end...
What ever stuck out the quarter, I trimed and rewelded flush.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:04 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

As far as the door jam, mine was rotted too, but not like yours. Mine was more along the lines of above the upper door hinge, rather than the bottom of where the door closes. But in any case, my body shop still had to fabricate their own patch probably 4x5 inches or so, so you might have to do the same with that part of the jam. The body shop was able to put the original creases and curves in the patches, so I'm sure you can too! good luck, looks great keep the progress coming!
Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Looks to me like the whole thing need to shift aft. Is there a reason you can't move it aft?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 AM
fantastic
1st Gear Member

I removed the remnants of the old rocker that were at the front of the torque box. Now the rocker is forward the extra 1/8" so my measurement from the pillar behind the door to the back tip of the rocker is 7 7/8". I have pictures of this measurement posted.

The reason the whole thing can not shift aft is that the rocker sits flush forward on the torque box, and must line up aft to receive the rear wheel well and eventually the quarter panel.My solution will be to cut out the lip and move it all back. It will be butt welded aft of the lipand I'll have to graft a piece on forward to fill in the hole that it makes. I'll take pictures to document this, but for now the piece is screwed in place and I can go on to the next piece. I was hoping to keep the gap under the door at about 3/16" but once the rocker was pulled into place with the self tapping screws, it pulled down to about 5/16"

Remember, everything is just screwed in place right now so that I can easily unscrew and move it. Once everything is aligned and marked the car will be disassembled and rebuilt with proper primer,welds, and seam sealer. I'll be starting with a brand new frame bumper to bumper. There is no reason to weld the rocker to this torque box sincethe torque boxwill be replaced also.

Now to build the back of that door jam.In other hobbies when I can't get a part that is commonly worn out, I have a whole bunch of them manufactured. Since there is a rumor that Dynacorn is releasing a '69 fastback this summer, I suspect that this piece will be available soon. I have also found one for sale online, with the entire quarter panel. I just don't think a used one is really worth $1000!!