Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carbin Fiber hood, 1969 mustan

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Carbin Fiber hood, 1969 mustan

Not against it, but think about it. That hood he linked to up there is $700+ and it's not even real carbon fiber. I realize there are other weight saving materials, but that much money (before prep work and paint even) to save 29 lbs seems ridiculous to me. As I said, there are cheaper ways to shift weight around, and they won't really hurt performance, especially since he says he's gone from a 6er in the car to a nice 351.

I don't understand the thinking, but it's not my money.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Menorah 5

Yea I understand Nabster, I am not 100% on the idea, but I like the idea of lightening the car (especially the front end), if it does not affect quality/performance in a negative way. Going lighterweight with a lot of things affects strength etc, this would just be a straight weight loss.

I wish I could afford an aluminum engine, though its kinda out of my range =(. I will be doing a battery relocation and aluminum heads intake etc.

I am not 100% sold, I can't even find a hood for a 69, just don't see it as a horrible idea.

BTW I love the color of your car, Mine is the same green (well slightly different since repaint, but same color with a lot of metallic )
Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

This thread sure is off and running, first things first Welcome Menorah 5...

My opnion on the subject goes a little like this it is your car do what you want, but I also agree that if you can not find a carbon fiber hood that is made for your car it will probably be best to stay away from it, If you are just looking for a light hood I believe fiber glass is fairly light in comparison to the stock steel hood, and with adjustments to the springs, it could fit very nice. After it is painted no one would be able to tell the difference anyway... The major issue I do have with fiber glass is to me it feels brittle and weak, but perhaps this is because I still have on the old stock steel hood
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Menorah 5

Yea I am not 100% sold on the idea, but want to research it and not just blow off the idea because it is too "ricer" or not muscle etc. (this isn't meant as offensive), but I see too many people stuck in the old ideas when there is no reason to be. Thinking about it, a carbon fiber hood probably wouldnt be worth the money.

Reducing weight on a car just has such an overall positive affect. I am going to look into the fiberglass leaf springs too (takes almost 80 pounds off the car, but unfortunately all from the rear).

Thanks for the welcome, everyone seems nice and knowlegable here. I will enjoy my stay =)
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
ponyX65
1st Gear Member

+1 yeah dont blow it off just becouse people say its 'rice' my kid brother has a sn95 with a corbon fiber hood he had the car painted and it looks great you cant even tell its carbon,if you can find one i say go for it.....oh by the way welcome to the forum!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

If you can't afford an aluminum engine block and heads you will not be able to afford a true carbon fiber hood. Fiberglass maybe. As for weight ratio on a "daily driver" are you kidding me? When would you be that concerned about weight ratio driving to work or whatever? If that is what you really want go with fiberglass hood and fenders and then relocate the battery to the trunk.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yes carbon kevlar is stronger then fiberglass but you have to paint it.Yes you can paint a carbon fiber hood look at f1 indy and champ cars there carbon fiber and painted. But like i side most are fiberglass hoods with carbon fiber glued on top of it for looks only.Doing the h4 head light change over will save a couple small pounds off and give you britter head lights too.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Menorah 5

I take my daily driver on the track on occasion and race it for fun. That said, having a car that handles better, accelerates better, and gets even remotely better gas mileage in today's day and age doesnt seem so bad.

I am kinda giving up on the idea due to cost, but I don't see any other negative really. So I am not so sure why people are so against it.

Andrew, what is the h4 headlight change?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

First off, welcome to the forum!!!

There definitely isnt any reason not to get a lighter hood, other then the cost. I think ppl are saying it is "ricer" because the stereotype is that ricers do mods to change the look of their car and think it makes it way faster. Obviously, a lighter hood would help performance and weight distribution, but your money is better spent elsewhere.

I think an aluminum top end is a great idea, as well as an aluminum radiator.

good luck with the project!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

H4 is the newer style head lights where there plastic and you change a small headlight bulbs instead of the whole head light.Look on here http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa.../headlamps.htm the tribar is it and you need the relay kit but they are brite and you can see more with them.Pretty much every mustang part house sells them too so look around.

Quick Reply: Carbin Fiber hood, 1969 mustan